MOTOROLA HT 1250

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
i have 1 in VHF and 1 in UHF. love them both. very reliable, durable, and great features.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I have a HT 1250 love it never had any problems with it. I also have a EX600xls that I like better since its smaller . Im a Vol Ems for PD the 1250 might me a better choice.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Good choice on the 1250.

For a bit less you can get a TRBO analog version 6550 with Impres battery and charger and radio is submersible in water.

Either one you would be happy with

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
DEPUTYSTEPHENSON said:
I am getting ready to order a new portable and was wondering everyone's opinion on the Motorola HT 1250. This will be for use with with small agency that patrols a rural county area.

First question to ask: What is the specs on the radio system it is going onto? Simple conventional frequency, multiple conv freq's or trunked in some form/fashion?

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
unlisted said:
First question to ask: What is the specs on the radio system it is going onto? Simple conventional frequency, multiple conv freq's or trunked in some form/fashion?

I'm not a radio guy. Its just a simple system, no trucking, VHF system.

Thank you very much guys and I feel better about going with it over the area norm of the ICOM.

Radio Tech

May 27, 2010
Vermont
Stay away from the Pro-Series. They're starting to be discontinued and phased out.

Kenwoods NX series now have an option available to allow P25 or NXDN/IDAS in conventional modes. It's one or the other, not both. With the Kenwoods you have the option of staying conventional NB, migrating to NXDN/IDAS, or migrating to P25. With the Turbo radios you only get Turbo and conventional narrow band.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Radio Tech said:
Stay away from the Pro-Series. They're starting to be discontinued and phased out.

Kenwoods NX series now have an option available to allow P25 or NXDN/IDAS in conventional modes. It's one or the other, not both. With the Kenwoods you have the option of staying conventional NB, migrating to NXDN/IDAS, or migrating to P25. With the Turbo radios you only get Turbo and conventional narrow band.

Which models are those?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
All of the Waris series made by the big "M" - basically any with a HT designation in the model name.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
unlisted said:
All of the Waris series made by the big "M" - basically any with a HT designation in the model name.

I did not know this and I am M Dealer. Where did you hear about the waris series being phased out? AFAIK the HT1550 was cancelled due to lack of market for it and sluggish volume sales overall.

I can see the TRBO for business as replacement but cannot them wanting public safety to choose between either an astro or xpr

Thanks

Wayne

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Heard it a few times now, I think first on Batlabs...

Isn't there a new cheap radio "line" recently released by Moto?

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
Coming from the engineers mouth (neighbors) that indeed the end of the HT series will be coming very soon. That is what the TRBO was brought our for.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Well if Waris HT are going away I will not stop selling them to folks asking for them. I've had an XPR6500 in VHF for close to 2 years now and have swam with it, dropped it a few times and it fell of my tailgate ( found again 4 days later) and it keeps working good.

So no loss,either ways.

jantman

Jun 2, 2010
NJ, USA
Our EMS/FD/PD all moved to the HT1250 about a year and a half ago, and most of the other departments in our area also use them. I absolutely love mine.

That being said, a few years back I had an Icom portable, and loved that too. If you're still on conventional frequencies, and now that the patent on MDC1200 (ANI/identifier) expired and Icoms have that feature, there are few reasons to buy Motorola. You can get an Icom that meets all the same specs for half the price. Don't get me wrong, Motorolas are great radios, but I really think half the price is just for the name (and I've got a M account, so I know what the list prices are before markup). My other pet peeve is Motorola's insane attitude about the programming software - $300 for the HT1250, and all sorts of sign-your-soul-away licenses, while an Icom dealer will sell me a cable for $30 and throw in the software.

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
I got it in and love it, but the local distributor has just the worst customer service. It did cost me about double the Icom, but came with a much better mic and vehicle charging system. I have used the old and new Icom's and they are ok, but I just had to many problems and loved the Motorola I had at my last department. MSHP is using the HT1250 and are on state bid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.