NEW Control Head Option for Whelen Cencom Sapphire

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I don't really have any info on it... Just came across the pic. Not sure I love it yet... I like the rotary knob though!

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_ccsrn_control_head_lit_zps0ee7543d.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It's definitely interesting. I love the rotary knobs too, but (like the z3), it kinda looks more like a toy than a siren

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
code60a said:
I don't know, I think it almost has a retro kind of look to it

I think it's the red that's bugging me...if it were all black or dark grey (ie the grey they used on the 295's), then I personally would be more inclined to buy one.

It's funny how a few sirens have returned to the old fashion rotary knob (tomar it did too), and I'm happy that they're being offered on slim control head units. Even though I've gotten used to the cencom buttons in our newer SUVs, I still prefer the rotary knobs on PA300's and 295's (the biggest perk of a knob control for me is that, if I take my hand off the cencom control for a second while driving, I either have to look down at the pad or feel like I'm reading Braille to get back to the siren controls in the center console; on the other hand, the knob is easier to find and doesn't require that I take piano lessons lol)

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
pdk9 said:
I think it's the red that's bugging me...if it were all black or dark grey (ie the grey they used on the 295's), then I personally would be more inclined to buy one.

It's funny how a few sirens have returned to the old fashion rotary knob (tomar it did too), and I'm happy that they're being offered on slim control head units. Even though I've gotten used to the cencom buttons in our newer SUVs, I still prefer the rotary knobs on PA300's and 295's (the biggest perk of a knob control for me is that, if I take my hand off the cencom control for a second while driving, I either have to look down at the pad or feel like I'm reading Braille to get back to the siren controls in the center console; on the other hand, the knob is easier to find and doesn't require that I take piano lessons lol)

That is one reason I can never put a Cencom or Smart siren in our fire trucks. Our guys have a hard enough time figuring out the simple fact of a slide switch(1rear,2 adds front,3 adds white) and a siren. The fact that there are 4 buttons for 3 tones(1 being off), that most would not understand and end up leaving on longer than needed.

Jordan,TCFD

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Jordan said:
That is one reason I can never put a Cencom or Smart siren in our fire trucks. Our guys have a hard enough time figuring out the simple fact of a slide switch(1rear,2 adds front,3 adds white) and a siren. The fact that there are 4 buttons for 3 tones(1 being off), that most would not understand and end up leaving on longer than needed.

Jordan,TCFD

Yeah, also I never saw the need for smart sirens or cencoms on large rescues or fire apparatus b/c, unlike some sedan or SUV EV's with a lot of radios/equipment crammed in a limited space, there is plenty of space to mount a dozen+ rocker switches (not that you should need that much), or some manufacturers have their own touch-tek-ish lighting control heads. And, to be honest, I bet that most of our driver/engineers don't realize that you can individually activate certain lights without just using the Master rocker switch (that activates everything), so why spend another $700+ on a digital control version that you don't need?

A funny example of a waste of these is a dept I rode with during one semester of paramedic school (but I won't say which one lol)...in a massive 4 door, international durastar rig, there were about 10 rocker switches for the lights, and they had a smart siren that they used just for wail and yelp: slide switch 1 & 2 did nothing, position 3 activated the wail, the HF horn tap changed bet. wail/yelp, and none of the 17 or so buttons had any legends or were used by any of the FF's (I'm sure 1-2 buttons were assigned wail & yelp siren functions, but I never saw them used, and I never heard a 3rd tone, ie hyperyelp, used either. As for turning the wail off, they slid the slide switch back to "off")

On the other hand, something like this new control head adds more options/flexibility to where a control pad with a siren knob can be mounted, b/c you no longer have a 5 lbs, 7-inch deep box that has to be mounted in a deep center console or center storage compartment...You could surface mount it flat onto the dash or headliner, add a faceplate and mount it over unused center console cup holders or a loose change area, or a bail mount would be nice option for departments that want to mount directly on the dash or headliner at an angle

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
OTFD122 said:
I don't really have any info on it... Just came across the pic. Not sure I love it yet... I like the rotary knob though!

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_ccsrn_control_head_lit_zps0ee7543d.png

Is this the extra peice to their new microphone? For cripes sake Whelen, make your siren look like a dang siren! Not a something that would go in my kids' toy box! I like the rotary knob but that's as far as it goes. If this is the way Whelen is taking their products I will not buy anything more from them. Be like Feniex and take the criticism from this board for your sake, because you will lose at least one customer!

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Is this the extra peice to their new microphone? For cripes sake Whelen, make your siren look like a dang siren! Not a something that would go in my kids' toy box! I like the rotary knob but that's as far as it goes. If this is the way Whelen is taking their products I will not buy anything more from them. Be like Feniex and take the criticism from this board for your sake, because you will lose at least one customer!

Actually, I think I like this a lot.

What it does is readily identify the Siren/Lighting controller from other equipment such as radios, scanners, etc. Instead of a stack of black boxes all with switches, this stands out as the noise maker.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Zack said:
Actually, I think I like this a lot.

What it does is readily identify the Siren/Lighting controller from other equipment such as radios, scanners, etc. Instead of a stack of black boxes all with switches, this stands out as the noise maker.

Well, I'll give ya that...it definitely stands out! lol. The whole stack of black boxes thing doesn't make sense to me. I know all of my equipment in my vehicle and most people can tell a radio from a siren, etc, and if not, they probably don't know how to use them in the first place (i.e. civilians). Maybe it's just me, but I'm not impressed with Whelen's cosmetics nowadays. Basically I'm just not understanding the whole bright colors. It reminds of that Z3 siren from Code 3. The Cencom was and is still sexy. Great cosmetics on that unit...but this...ugh. Maybe it is just me! lol

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Well, I'll give ya that...it definitely stands out! lol. The whole stack of black boxes thing doesn't make sense to me. I know all of my equipment in my vehicle and most people can tell a radio from a siren, etc, and if not, they probably don't know how to use them in the first place (i.e. civilians). Maybe it's just me, but I'm not impressed with Whelen's cosmetics nowadays. Basically I'm just not understanding the whole bright colors. It reminds of that Z3 siren from Code 3. The Cencom was and is still sexy. Great cosmetics on that unit...but this...ugh. Maybe it is just me! lol

Well, for the departments that I've worked with you don't know what vehicle you're assigned until you come in... and everyone is slightly different (based on what was discounted when the vehicle went in to be up fitted). That that case, it's nice to have something a little more obtuse.

;)

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Zack said:
Well, for the departments that I've worked with you don't know what vehicle you're assigned until you come in... and everyone is slightly different (based on what was discounted when the vehicle went in to be up fitted). That that case, it's nice to have something a little more obtuse.

;)

Well, I can understand where you're coming from. However, it still looks like a toy to me.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Hmmm... I wonder if the background color is selectable or if red was a prototype and they switched to blue?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
foxtrot5 said:
Hmmm... I wonder if the background color is selectable or if red was a prototype and they switched to blue?

Yes... it's listed as an option on a dealer's site.

Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 1.23.12 AM.png

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Snozberries taste like Snozberries!

brndnstffrd

Jun 25, 2013
Connecticut
They should make a yellow/orange one that works like the older PA/airhorn, with just PA and Radio Rebroadcast for tones on the rotary switch and let the other positions be used to control other things, they could even stack what gets selected so it could work like a second slider switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.