New from Whelen, M9V and M6V

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
This is probably a "V" shaped warning light with a much more powerful integrated flood/puddle light option for fire trucks and ambulances that need down lighting.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
If it is M series lightheads, especially the larger ones, I'm interested in seeing how (if?) they will retain compliance with the applicable standards - SAE, etc. More LEDs? Overdriving the LEDs harder?

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
bluestinger90 said:
This is probably a "V" shaped warning light with a much more powerful integrated flood/puddle light option for fire trucks and ambulances that need down lighting.

That is my guess too. These would be nice for ambulances on the rear for loading/backing and certainly nice around the bottom of fire apparatus for safety/ground lighting.

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Here's another awful, AWFUL video teaser by Whelen. Whelen please stop making hip and edgy videos.

I doubt your demographics listen to dub step. Just make them plain and informative like Federal Signal, or Feniex.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
bluestinger90 said:
Here's another awful, AWFUL video teaser by Whelen. Whelen please stop making hip and edgy videos.

I doubt your demographics listen to dub step. Just make them plain and informative like Federal Signal, or Feniex.

I just watched that and thought the same thing .....

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
You have to admit it; they use pretty good Phillips head screws. I love a good close up of a Phillips head screw. Maybe someone could edit the video into a 10 hour loop.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
jhallgren22 said:
So it looks like the bottom portion has a downward slant for puddle light yet the top is a standard light? hmmm

The top looks to have two light heads mounted in a "V" (Like the ION V Series) to give off axis.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
These lights offer scene lighting that is substantial. It is based off of the Pioneer series technology. The upper warning portion is also substantial with 180 degree side coverage. It will change the way the sides of your ambulance performs (if your budget allows).

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Well, the only M series light left are the 4 and 7 so I guess we will see. I haven't heard anything buy the V23 and a "V4" would be basically the same so maybe not. The 7 is also very long and would be difficult to "V".

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
With the increase of European style vans here in the US (Mercedes Sprinter, Nissan NV, Ford Transit 150&250&350, Ram ProMaster), I think these will prove very popular with the ambulance manufactures. It sure seems Fire/EMS specific. Good job Whelen.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
HILO said:
With the increase of European style vans here in the US (Mercedes Sprinter, Nissan NV, Ford Transit 150&250&350, Ram ProMaster), I think these will prove very popular with the ambulance manufactures. It sure seems Fire/EMS specific. Good job Whelen.

Will it meet candela requirements for NFPA and ambulance lighting?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I posted these in the V'ed Whelen 2 days ago. I am not impressed. Not nearly the same warning power as the previous version. Instead of paying more for 1/2 of two lights, just stick with separate warning and scene lights.

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_forums_D65EF366_F3e2259d152e1cc2203f59976b7b03ddfa.jpg

ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i63_memphise34a_forums_883F8EB5_248a619ec1eec751c992f42e571e767f47.jpg

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Personally, I think they are ticked that FedSig has the patent on the "V" lightbars, so they're "V"-ing everything else just to prove a point. ;)

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Outsider said:
Totally new design... M9V 180* full warning and downward scene light, that is fully certified warning and illumination. BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! The M6V incorporates ground illumination into the warning fixture, eliminating the need for under body ground lights.

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/ProductSheets/Lightheads/M6V%20and%20M9V.pdf

So do you use 2 x MV92's down low on the truck, then, to get ground lighting? Or are they thinking you use them up high on the truck to get ground lighting? The PDF says you need to use 2 x M9V2 lights for NFPA approved ground lighting.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
leftcoastmark said:
Personally, I think they are ticked that FedSig has the patent on the "V" lightbars, so they're "V"-ing everything else just to prove a point. ;)

I think this has a lot of merit and I am keeping an eye out for Patent infringement claims through my sources.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Can someone help explain the intended usage for these? If I understand these heads, they're intended for the sides of vehicles, hence the puddle lights. If the lightheads are pointing to the sides, then why the need to V it? Linear heads already cover the sides.

If you're looking at the vehicle from directly in front or the rear, then yes, the lightheads will stick out a little bit and can be seen, but aren't your grille and deck lights doing their job? Don't get me wrong, they look kind of interesting, but I don't see their advantage.

Tony

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
ERM said:
Can someone help explain the intended usage for these? If I understand these heads, they're intended for the sides of vehicles, hence the puddle lights. If the lightheads are pointing to the sides, then why the need to V it? Linear heads already cover the sides.

If you're looking at the vehicle from directly in front or the rear, then yes, the lightheads will stick out a little bit and can be seen, but aren't your grille and deck lights doing their job? Don't get me wrong, they look kind of interesting, but I don't see their advantage.

Tony

I agree Tony. In addition, you are losing the benefit of a larger footprint of flashing lights and less scene light illumination when compared to a single light dedicated to that cause.

IMO, stick with separate warning and scene lights unless you are so limited on space that it is not possible.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'd say they can be put to good use in back, where doors, equipment compartments and firefighting equipment might get in the way and one might have to make compromises between the desired scene lighting or visual warning, or as secondary lighting plus scene lighting to the sides in addition to other warning. One might make the argument that they're mostly scene lights with a warning light attached, and should be used as such in addition to primary warning lights.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
nerdly_dood said:
I'd say they can be put to good use in back, where doors, equipment compartments and firefighting equipment might get in the way and one might have to make compromises between the desired scene lighting or visual warning, or as secondary lighting plus scene lighting to the sides in addition to other warning. One might make the argument that they're mostly scene lights with a warning light attached, and should be used as such in addition to primary warning lights.

You can make whatever argument you like, but the fact remains that you end up with both a scene light and a warning light that are at least half as good as they could be.

blinkyfan

Dec 17, 2013
NPR, FL
What is whelen doing lately? Are they gonna V the siren speakers next? This thing looks like an ugly foreign car tail light or something. They are a good brand, but it seems like they ran out of things to do and started recreating the old stuff instead.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I also don't care for the M6/M9 V-series. I can see the use for V on ion/linz6-sized lightheads on POVs or patrol cars that can use some extra lighting but they either don't have the space for additional scene lighting on the vehicle or they want to keep it very low pro (ie LEO slicktop), but when you are mounting M6 & M9 lightheads on a vehicle, the likelihood is that it's on a larger truck/apparatus that is going to have separate scene lighting (ie pioneer series, M9 or 900 series scene lighting, ground lighting, etc) & the low pro look isn't of much concern

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
leftcoastmark said:

Or, it could be that they were conceived during a conversation about a way around SOS's Intersector patent. Sketched on a napkin, in a jet plane.

Maybe.

I don't think it's FedSig envy...after all, they are the same in concept as the end cap of an Edge/Liberty series lightbar...also a V-shaped reflector array, with an alley light. At least that *might* have been mentioned during the napkin sketch session. Who's to say...

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
C2Installs said:
Or, it could be that they were conceived during a conversation about a way around SOS's Intersector patent. Sketched on a napkin, in a jet plane.

Maybe.

I don't think it's FedSig envy...after all, they are the same in concept as the end cap of an Edge/Liberty series lightbar...also a V-shaped reflector array, with an alley light. At least that *might* have been mentioned during the napkin sketch session. Who's to say...

Hey, whomever wrote that article in PFM about the V series sure did a good job! My department just bought a tractor (to haul the trailer), and we put Ion V series on the sides, under the doors.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.