New York State Police 2012 Chevy Caprices

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I'm sure every vehicle that does not have the Ford Interceptor graphics on the side were purchased by the NYSP. I believe all Ford owned test cars have the Ford Interceptor graphics on them.

429interceptor

Jun 11, 2013
new york
NoVAFed said:
I understand the tradition point of view, but I think those black cars look fantastic. If it saves a few bucks, so much the better.

I just went past the facility on route 20 near Albany. The state campus were most of thease cars sit in a lot waiting lights and graphics. The lot was completely empty like they moved. I only pass this area maybe once a year but always looked forward to the various units sitting waiting there fate of patrol or auction. Does anyone know whats going on? Was looking forward to possibly seeing that Durango.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
429interceptor said:
I just went past the facility on route 20 near Albany. The state campus were most of thease cars sit in a lot waiting lights and graphics. The lot was completely empty like they moved. I only pass this area maybe once a year but always looked forward to the various units sitting waiting there fate of patrol or auction. Does anyone know whats going on? Was looking forward to possibly seeing that Durango.

The facility moved to Troop G HQ in Latham.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
429interceptor said:
And pretty hidden there.

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
Spotted all three L troop test cars (NGPI, Charger and Caprice) on the Southern State out by their barracks by the Cross Island, wanna say exit 17. They were lookin and not just parked.

429interceptor

Jun 11, 2013
new york
mr. awesome said:
Spotted all three L troop test cars (NGPI, Charger and Caprice) on the Southern State out by their barracks by the Cross Island, wanna say exit 17. They were lookin and not just parked.

Binghamton area has 3 as well. Caprice H208, Charger H213, New Interceptor H223. I here the troopers prefer the Charger hands down but feel the powers that be will choose the Interceptor due to the cost of the units. Caprice was considered the best overall highway car but cost is very poor. The test car hit a deer and what was considered minor damage ran well over $8000. If it was only built here and not Austrailia.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
429interceptor said:
Binghamton area has 3 as well. Caprice H208, Charger H213, New Interceptor H223. I here the troopers prefer the Charger hands down but feel the powers that be will choose the Interceptor due to the cost of the units. Caprice was considered the best overall highway car but cost is very poor. The test car hit a deer and what was considered minor damage ran well over $8000. If it was only built here and not Austrailia.

I thought I read production for the Caprice was now in Canada too....?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
coopers said:
I thought I read production for the Caprice was now in Canada too....?

Holden has not yet built the Canadian plant, to my knowledge.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I saw production will begin in North America around 2015-16 when the new Zeta platform comes out.

429interceptor

Jun 11, 2013
new york
lafd55 said:
I saw production will begin in North America around 2015-16 when the new Zeta platform comes out.

I saw 2 new Tahoes at a rest stop on 17 that were part of dot truck inspections. they are out of troop E and both were black with gold graphics. the other wierd thing was the mini 1 inch blue stobes were monted on the tail gate a few inches away from the tail lights. Usually there in the tail lights them selves, or either side of the liscence plate. I tried to snap a picture but was discouraged by the trooper. He did say that the fleet will be going black to save on special order colors. He said this was a state mandate that allows NY to purchase solid colors such as all black all white and black/white units in large numbers and sell to sheriff, state, and local departments at significant cost savings. I guess theres no real huge differance between the dark blue and solid black but the old crown vic metalic blue with gold graphics looked very sharp and distinguished.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I have to very very much so disagree, I highly doubt the SP will go away from their blue cars, maybe away from special NYSP blue and just a fleet blue, and I highly doubt you saw black Tahoes with graphics. The only black Tahoes with similar graphics are the DOC units. I do on the other hand know that in the future there will probably be an entire color/graphic change but don't know when, haven't heard about it but just going by previous changes.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
lafd55 said:

Indications are the Commodore/Caprice won't be going Zeta, lots of talk of the name being attached to an SUV come 2016. Holden all but admitted that 2014 will be the last year of the Caprice, they've copped some criticism about the half hearted "facelift" which left the Caprice with the old body but the new interior.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
So if the Caprice is ending after 2014, where does that leave law enforcement?

I guess it would be

- Charger

- Ford Interceptor

- Ford Interceptor Utility

- Tahoe

anyone know of another manufacturer who might start to office PPV's?

429interceptor

Jun 11, 2013
new york
the black tahoes are stationed out of the watkins glen station on rt 14. with the big nascar race this weekend im sure to see them along the route and will snap a few shots. im told this baracks has 4 all black gold graphic 2013 tahoes. its possible there assigned to just dot and there for all ford econoline dot vans are black with gold graphics as well. will try to get info but such info is usually deemed not worthy of civilian knowledge so therefor you must have police credentials to get the why answered. im just a car nut thats facinated with police cruisers.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
vc859 said:
So if the Caprice is ending after 2014, where does that leave law enforcement?

I guess it would be

- Charger

- Ford Interceptor

- Ford Interceptor Utility

- Tahoe

anyone know of another manufacturer who might start to office PPV's?
Maybe a plant will be made in North America and continued production? Not out of the question, but that's only my opinion.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Do you have a source where it says the Caprice is ending? Not that its beyond GM to do something that dumb, but I just cant see the point of going through all the trouble and expense to develop a PPV and kill it so soon.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Unless you have some super secret insider information I'm not seeing anything that suggests they are discontinuing the caprice. Sure would like to know the source of this information for follow up since my dept. is wasting so much money bouncing between the vic, charger, and now caprice.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Sorry I meant the 2014 model year Caprice, ie due for release later this year. To clarify, the recent half arsed Caprice facelift has prompted speculation that Holden has no intention of retaining the model. Word is it will be discontinued earlier then the Commodore, planned replacement 2016. At this stage speculation is the next Commodore will be an SUV, Holden has confirmed they're looking at all options including SUV and front wheel drive. No mention of a future Caprice.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I seem to remember reading or hearing that Chevrolet plans to take over building the Caprice here in North America from Holden in Australia within a few years which may fit in to what you guys are discussing.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The Caprice, SS, and Camaro are all Zeta platform cars. The Camaro is built in Canada, and it is not difficult to add other vehicles based on a platform into production. With the Caprice and SS being limited production, GM can easily add a production run monthly in the Canadian plant. GM is also going uses the Zeta platform for the China Buick Park Avenue, with plans to add North American Buicks and Cadillacs on the Zeta platform. So yes, they will be adding more North American built Zeta cars.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
it must be an upsate thing to have black cars cause every car I ever seen on long island is the blue and gold cars. in my opinion, the blue looks sharper than boring black

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
MetsFan2512 said:
it must be an upsate thing to have black cars cause every car I ever seen on long island is the blue and gold cars. in my opinion, the blue looks sharper than boring black
Black cars are test cars.

Jun 4, 2010
new york
Was at the state police barracks in East Farmingdale the other day for the auction and they had half dozen black marked tahoes, and probably a dozen marked chargers. Half of them were blue the other half black...

ac316scu

Nov 18, 2010
Westchester NY
blue70chevelle said:
Was at the state police barracks in East Farmingdale the other day for the auction and they had half dozen black marked tahoes, and probably a dozen marked chargers. Half of them were blue the other half black...

What is this auction you speak of and where can I find more information on it?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
A lot of dealers leave the hubcaps in the trunk until delivery for theft purposes, that may be the case here. I have never seen an SP vehicle with full wheel caps unless it was unmarked.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.