Nissan Altima police car?!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Do any PDs in the US own fleets of cars that are not made by North American manufacturers?

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
They'll work fine for about three years. Then, the floorboards will notoriously rust through, allowing prisoners in the back seat to simply slip away through the rusted floorboards.
(Incase you aren't aware, Nissans have an allegedly common premature rusting problem with the floorboards, and there's several class action lawsuits either in progress or beginning. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/rust-n333291?client=safari

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Do any PDs in the US own fleets of cars that are not made by North American manufacturers?

belle meade PD the pd of the richest of the rich in Nashville have an entire fleet of Volkswagen TDIs,

untill that whole " we lied about our emissions" thing came along

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
yea the N.Y.P.D traffic units are smart cars with 3 pod slr and mini infamous ( I cant read blue alpha traffic adviser)..

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I honestly don't see any benefit of going with them. It's like Nissan (which has no real pedestal to stand on in the LE market) just said "F@#k you, here's a car; take it or leave it." The beginning of the article (how many local depts often don't get into high speed pursuits/have strict policies limiting them) is true, but any vehicle specifically targeting the LE market definitely needs to have improved brakes/ handling and officer safety/comfort in mind, because these vehicles will be responding code 3 frequently and have added wear that typical civilian POVs won't be subject to. Just because there will be some setina accessories that will fit it doesn't mean depts across the US are gonna jump on them.
For patrol vehicles, even if they don't have a lot of pursuits, im still a big supporter of having PPV/SSV vehicles, or whatever they need in their region (i.e. 4WD SUVs or pickups in rural areas), for our brother LEOs, b/c I think their safety and operational needs take priority over a vehicle's fuel consumption. On the other hand, I'm a proponent of having fuel-efficient or hybrid vehicles for auxiliary functions (i.e. Prius for Parking & code enforcement, building inspectors) and admin vehicles (i.e. escape or fusion hybrid)

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
There's a decent amount of Nissan Altimas in the NYPD fleet already, both marked and unmarked. I don't mean traffic cops either. Although it doesn't seem like they're adding new ones, the ones I've seen have all been a few years old.

I've also seen an unmarked Prius responding once, but I doubt there are many of those in use other than by traffic cops.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I like the Tahoe PPV. Room for us bigger guys. Even better without a cage/partition. Small cars do not have the room for all the electronics.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
There's a decent amount of Nissan Altimas in the NYPD fleet already, both marked and unmarked. I don't mean traffic cops either. Although it doesn't seem like they're adding new ones, the ones I've seen have all been a few years old.

I believe the last of them were purchased in 2009. They didn't hold up well at all and the interiors practically fell apart from what I've heard.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
On the other hand, I'm a proponent of having fuel-efficient or hybrid vehicles for auxiliary functions (i.e. Prius for Parking & code enforcement, building inspectors) and admin vehicles (i.e. escape or fusion hybrid)
As a Fire Inspector, I am a Code Enforcement Officer, and I absolutely cannot agree with this statement. I am currently driving a Ford Focus...
Problem 1: I am an Adult. I am built like an Adult. The Small cars are designed for teens, and small people. The Focus is the Worst possible vehicle choice, aside from the $19,000 price tag.
Problem 2: I frequent job sites. while most small cars have outstanding handling on dry pavement, I see more wet pavement, and moreso MUD, like is found on a job site is not friendly
Problem 3: I work in the snow belt. The Municipality for which I am employed sits in the direct line of Lake Effect Snow from Lake erie. 4Wheel Drive vehicles are the only way to get around some times.
Problem 4: Also regarding snow. I am required to be able to be mobile in snow. draw your own conclusions about how well a small car navigates in the snow.

Throw Prius in place of Focus, and you're asking for a DISASTER.

I believe the last of them were purchased in 2009. They didn't hold up well at all and the interiors practically fell apart from what I've heard.

Thats a standard feature on a Nissan...

Reactions: FCV96

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
As a Fire Inspector, I am a Code Enforcement Officer, and I absolutely cannot agree with this statement. I am currently driving a Ford Focus...
Problem 1: I am an Adult. I am built like an Adult. The Small cars are designed for teens, and small people. The Focus is the Worst possible vehicle choice, aside from the $19,000 price tag.
Problem 2: I frequent job sites. while most small cars have outstanding handling on dry pavement, I see more wet pavement, and moreso MUD, like is found on a job site is not friendly
Problem 3: I work in the snow belt. The Municipality for which I am employed sits in the direct line of Lake Effect Snow from Lake erie. 4Wheel Drive vehicles are the only way to get around some times.
Problem 4: Also regarding snow. I am required to be able to be mobile in snow. draw your own conclusions about how well a small car navigates in the snow.

Relax dude! It was just an example; I didn't say it was a cookie cutter 100% solution applicable everywhere in the US.

My point is simply that there are some priorities in choosing vehicles used for emergency response. Fuel economy is not my main concern for emergency vehicle selection, but I think that it should be a factor to consider in city/county fleet vehicles that are not used for emergency response.

Reactions: classifieds869294

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan

Throw Prius in place of Focus, and you're asking for a DISASTER.

Thats a standard feature on a Nissan...

I am a police officer and I absolutely cannot agree with this statement.

Municipalities choose vehicles like this to save money. Saving money keeps YOU in a job. Buying all these Tahoes and Explorers for people that do not need an emergency utility vehicle is part of the problem that bankrupts cities.

Save the money to be spent on emergency vehicles for services that actually need to get to the public they serve, ie; Police, fire, ems.

Sometimes our CHOSEN professions don't allow us to drive the "cool kid" vehicles.

Reactions: Tony P

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Most of the departments near me drive Tahoes. I really don't know why unless they're having to carry more and more equipment. They also have money....so they probably just spend it.

As far as the other poster, I've worked in the snow belt of NE Ohio and I could get everywhere in a crown vic and snow tires.

Reactions: Tony P

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
My point is simply that there are some priorities in choosing vehicles used for emergency response. Fuel economy is not my main concern for emergency vehicle selection, but I think that it should be a factor to consider in city/county fleet vehicles that are not used for emergency response.
Concidered, not quoted as Gospel. They waste more money and Man hours pulling us out than they save in gas in a year.

I am a police officer and I absolutely cannot agree with this statement.

Municipalities choose vehicles like this to save money. Saving money keeps YOU in a job. Buying all these Tahoes and Explorers for people that do not need an emergency utility vehicle is part of the problem that bankrupts cities.

Save the money to be spent on emergency vehicles for services that actually need to get to the public they serve, ie; Police, fire, ems.

Sometimes our CHOSEN professions don't allow us to drive the "cool kid" vehicles.

Im very happy with my CHOSEN profession, thank you.

Not saying I want a "Cool Kid" vehicle. I'm also not saying I need a Tahoe or Explorer. A common sense vehicle. Escape, Equinox, or similar would be absolutly fine. 4WD and Ground clearance.

Most of the departments near me drive Tahoes. I really don't know why unless they're having to carry more and more equipment. They also have money....so they probably just spend it.

As far as the other poster, I've worked in the snow belt of NE Ohio and I could get everywhere in a crown vic and snow tires.

Try driving a Focus, with standard road tires. Its a whole different world.

May 10, 2012
New England
As I see it, we have not nearly enough details to make the call on how realistic this concept is. While I haven't been on patrol in ten years, I would be curious in knowing what Nissan plans to do to make a common passenger sedan into something I would be comfortable driving for nearly eight hours a day while wearing my gear and having room for everything normally kept in a cruiser.

That being said, there have been some odd police vehicles I've seen in Vermont. Stowe PD had Saabs and Volvos at one point. Killington still has at least one Honda Pilot in service. I am sure there are more I am missing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.