NYPD Signal Stat Hi rise Skirt

Andy135

Jan 8, 2014
Texas
Morning group. Can anyone provide insight on the Signal Stat Hi rise skirt that NYPD used in the very early years of the 1970's. I have a light but no skirt. Is there a source, model number, can a Federal base be utilized with mods? Any help is greatly appreciated by so many who know so much more than me!

Attachments

• 117575_b78c33e341e1e254140c3ead94f3c310.jpg
    117575_b78c33e341e1e254140c3ead94f3c310.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 37

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
To the best of my knowledge they were used for only the final model year of green & black / Pulsator RMPs- 1972. I've never heard an explanation for why the switch from the Beacon Rays to the Signal-Stats.

Reactions: Mndlm

Andy135

Jan 8, 2014
Texas
I actually have a set of each new from my days ..
Nice!

To the best of my knowledge they were used for only the final model year of green & black / Pulsator RMPs- 1972. I've never heard an explanation for why the switch from the Beacon Rays to the Signal-Stats.
A more "Modern" appearance? The 175 Hill light design had been around for a while. (1950's). I had one on my 1968 RMP Tribute car.

1968 Fury RMP Tribute Car

Attachments

• RMP1701-vi.jpg
    RMP1701-vi.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
"A more "Modern" appearance? The 175 Hill light design had been around for a while."

Knowing they were changing the paint scheme and entire warning package the next model year??

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Yes, the Signal Stat beacon with the extension base was used by NYPD just on its 1972 cars (well, plus at least some of its 1971 Highway Patrol cars). Very hard to find; few other customers used them. At the time Dietz also offered a similar extension base (to go under their 211 / 7-11 beacon) in at least a couple of different heights, but the Dietz version had a lip around the bottom; again few customers bought it.

Why the switch? Various theories. Low bid? NYPD was experimenting with alternative equipment in '71 & '72. Signal Stat may have been deemed as a local (Brooklyn) NYC vendor. Note that the following year, 1973, all of NYPD's new warning equipment became Signal Stat rather than FS, so this may have been Signal Stat's "foot in the door."

Andy135

Jan 8, 2014
Texas
Probably the best theory. Same reason rather than going to a Federal electronic siren control after ditching the P660 to reduce decible levels, they went with scientific to build their siren controllers.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Probably the best theory. Same reason rather than going to a Federal electronic siren control after ditching the P660 to reduce decible levels, they went with scientific to build their siren controllers.

SP didn't enter the picture until mid-late 80s, unless they were actually building the Signal-Stat branded siren from the jump

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
SP didn't enter the picture until mid-late 80s, unless they were actually building the Signal-Stat branded siren from the jump
My own guess has always been that Signal-Stat did not manufacture the sirens themself but bought them from somewhere. In this case from SP.
Many manufacturers, like Dietz, Mars, Sireno, Smith & Wesson, Whelen and Yankee, bought their sirens from other manufacturers and in many cases from SP or Carson.
I have no proof of this with Signal-Stat and SP but for me it is logical. Why make yourself when you can buy rebranded sirens to a lower cost.

Michael

Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Morning group. Can anyone provide insight on the Signal Stat Hi rise skirt that NYPD used in the very early years of the 1970's. I have a light but no skirt.
You must be aware of that the Signal-Stat 374 that the NYPD used in 1972 with the extention base was not a standard 374 but a special version with two tilted red sealed beams as the previous Federal 175-H was.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Did they still run 1 amber bulb in any of the signal stat beacons like they did with the FS 175?
Yes, the same configuration as with the 175 and 175-H.
One red and one amber in the straight positions and one low down angeled red and one low up angeled red sealed beam.
All red Federal 17 between 1956-1962.
Federal 175 with standard 5" base but with the special low upward red sealed beam, red low downward sealed beam and one red and one amber straight sealed beams in 1963.
Federal 175-H, same as in 1963, except with 7 1/2" high base between 1964-1971.
Signal-Stat 374 with special tilted sealed beams and additional extention base in 1972.
If I could locate my Signal-Stat catalog I would get the model number of this base.

Michael

Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
That SS hill light model was a 377. I just sold one the other day...
I do not know if the NYPD light was a 377 or not.
I have not been able to see if the tilted sealed beams have the same angle or get a verification of the model number yet.
Until I get to know that the light was a 377 I will call it 374.
The regular 374 was used in pairs on the 1973 RMPs and had two clear and two red sealed beams.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.