NYSP with hi rise lightbar

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Similar pics were posted a few months ago, this's a Thruway cruiser, might be a pilot project/field test

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
We have a section of I-90 that runs through our district, and the intersection of I-90 and I-190, so we see staties all the time, and I have NEVER seen one of these. Im going to agree with the field test.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
1 or 2 troops in central NY (that I'm personally aware of) have them for now b/c they have a lot of interstate/thruway going through their counties

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
And here's a video of their new trial whelen lightbar with built in high-risers. Built using Whelen Ions...

not my video.

Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
And here's a video of their new trial whelen lightbar with built in high-risers. Built using Whelen Ions...

not my video.

This a first that I've seen that one! Not a big fan of that. Out of curiosity, though, I'd def be interested in learning a little
More about it.

The only thing I've previously seen was a Libby and a separate riser bar with 4 diode modules. Not a fan of this b/c it reminds me of that ugly D&R bar released a few years ago (though not as bulky). I'd take a Libby for my primary warning any day and don't really care if I had a riser bar behind it or not

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Looks like the ship from Rouge 1

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I hate how they used these as primary warning. I can understand adding them to units in Troops that serve a lot of highways, but these look terrible IMO having a unit with a few ions flat out replacing the Liberty/Freedom to the front. I lived in NY for 21 years an almost never saw any NYSP or NYPD highways actually use these (have them elevated while operating on a roadway)

I’m also not a fan of using ions b/c their off-axis warning sucks

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I hate how they used these as primary warning. I can understand adding them to units in Troops that serve a lot of highways, but these look terrible IMO having a unit with a few ions flat out replacing the Liberty/Freedom to the front. I lived in NY for 21 years an almost never saw any NYSP or NYPD highways actually use these (have them elevated while operating on a roadway)

I’m also not a fan of using ions b/c their off-axis warning sucks
Troop NYC is basically all highway patrol.

NYPDBLUE

Feb 28, 2018
NY
Drive on the grand central or clear view parkway during rush hour and you will see the high risers up. NYPD had used Whellen in the past, but switched back to McDermott.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.