Official Console/Equipment Thread

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
11b101abn said:
Looks like the console from a Euharlee PD unit. Probably isn't, but it looks like one.

No, from way south of the metro area. An hour or so north of Florida.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Pictures of the equipment installed in my car, no specific console. The remote is the Feniex R5 remote control for my lights, control box pictured mounted in trunk. Uniden Bct8 mounted in center console.

IMG_20130226_164000.jpg

IMG_20130226_164112.jpg

IMG_20130223_094859.jpg

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
paladin said:
I am with the posse; This is my own vehicle, we get them inspected and authorized as emergency vehicles via a letter with the SO; At some point I will go full reserve but that takes a pretty deep time commitment to complete the full academy again. There are various levels of involvement, some who just help out administratively, and those of us who do actual patrol work.

Vehicles can be owned by the posse (organized as 501©(3)s that group us into types of posses); but we also have county drivers licenses, so we can always take out a county unit as well.

Supposedly there are about 3000 posse members in the MCSO, with about 300 of us who are armed; (I am armed, and the above poster is correct that we go through POST training for everything from oc/mechanical/defensive to handgun/rifle/shotgun/etc). We have to do mandatory annual qualifications just like fulltime sworn deputies.

It's a great program because we get to help the community, help the deputies, increase police presence, and save taxpayers money. There will always be naysayers but we go through employment and background screenings just like fulltime deputies do.

Agreed. I started out with the program a few years ago as an EMT and it has been awesome. I am not armed, but working my way up there, and I don't have my own vehicle like this one, but again, I'm working on it. So I ride in one of our posse-owned vehicles, which is fully marked, government plated, and maintained solely by the posse members, at zero cost to the county. I wasn't entirely sure how it would go for me at first (what with the Sheriff being a very politically divisive figure in the county), but there are all kinds of people doing all kinds of things that are just plain fun to do. No arrest powers for possemen, but you can ride as a second man in a sworn unit, assist with prisoner transport, traffic control,DUI enforcement, EMS in rural areas/special events (like me), SAR, high angle rescue, all kinds of stuff.

You can have your vehicle signed off by the SO to install red and blues for use while on duty, but doing so requires an annual inspection of the vehicle, and you are prohibited from using them off duty or for any purpose not specifically directed by a sworn deputy sheriff (i.e. you can't run code just because you feel like it). Oh, and paladin's truck isn't just for show. He puts in a boatload of hours for the office.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
AZEMT said:
Agreed. I started out with the program a few years ago as an EMT and it has been awesome. I am not armed, but working my way up there, and I don't have my own vehicle like this one, but again, I'm working on it. So I ride in one of our posse-owned vehicles, which is fully marked, government plated, and maintained solely by the posse members, at zero cost to the county. I wasn't entirely sure how it would go for me at first (what with the Sheriff being a very politically divisive figure in the county), but there are all kinds of people doing all kinds of things that are just plain fun to do. No arrest powers for possemen, but you can ride as a second man in a sworn unit, assist with prisoner transport, traffic control,DUI enforcement, EMS in rural areas/special events (like me), SAR, high angle rescue, all kinds of stuff.

You can have your vehicle signed off by the SO to install red and blues for use while on duty, but doing so requires an annual inspection of the vehicle, and you are prohibited from using them off duty or for any purpose not specifically directed by a sworn deputy sheriff (i.e. you can't run code just because you feel like it). Oh, and paladin's truck isn't just for show. He puts in a boatload of hours for the office.

I have put a lot of thought into moving down to Az. after I get my paramedic and working with the possee. We've got a house in Scottsdale and I'm sure I could find, if I needed to.

All in all great program, great people. I read the posse was placed on school grounds after Newtown.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Well I will post some pics of my custom console. It is nearing completion. All I need to find now is a bracket for my m1225 and my bct796 and cup holders of course. Made out of 5/8 fiberboard all seams and screws where filled with wood putty. It will be coated with a dark gray texture spray. Enjoy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362969314.053837.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362969288.469079.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I finally got my console for my Explorer. I am still waiting for a couple of the face plates to get here. They are being drop shipped right from Jotto. It has been over a week already lol. Once it get it all in I will get a pic on here

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
Eric1249 said:
Jotto Desk console in my 2004 Explorer. I painted to match the radio bezel. It just has a mount for my siren, cup holder and storage tray

No radio?

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
man it is alot easier than you may think. especially with the truck you have. but if you really want to buy one, havis makes some pretty nice universal consoles. but they are always too square and your truck has alot of rounded edges.

i made one and it came out pretty nice. its not done yet but its getting there. mine has a frame made of 1 1/2" wood covered in half inch plywood. covered in a flat black rubberized coating. i suggest painting it either with a bedliner type spray or carpet but heres mine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
What kind of console would I need for a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo? It can be home made, Havis, or another brand. The only bad thing about my Jeep is the gear shift and the shifter for the 4 wheel drive is in the middle between the 2 seats connected with the console and cup holders. Just looking for something that I could put a siren and control box or something in. If I have time after work I can post a pic. Any thoughts?

Same console type just different Jeep.

$T2eC16RHJG!E9nm3qWDNBQIUNbprsQ~~60_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Welcome to the world of installing things in Heeps. I've never seen a custom console for one, especially of that age... and with the floor shifters, you're pretty much hosed. You'll either need to build something yourself or adapt something.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
You're definitely not going to be able to find anything for al jeep, let along an older model. As far as I know, havis & jotto only make mounts for ford, Chevy, & dodge.

With your POV there are 2 options IMO:

1) custom piece of ABS plastic over the cup holders & use a flat control/siren (cencom, smart siren, etc). Of course, you lose out on the cup holders, so that isn't my recommendation

2) mount everything in the center console. You have more freedom in the type of siren & control head (ie you could use less expensive, traditional siren boxes like a used PA300 or 295HFS). I'd go with this option.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
You've got more working space there that you think you do. Here is a better pic of the interior:

ai920.photobucket.com_albums_ad42_Steve_Collins_Misc_20radio_20stuff_99JGCint2_zps9e516567.jpg

I've marked two areas. The orange box should work for your siren as long as it's not very tall so that your passenger still has adequate leg room and the glove box can still be opened.

The white circle encompasses the dashboard area below the climate controls and the "stuff tray". That tray just forward of the gear shift is removable and might give you enough working space for a compact switch box. The area of the dash just below the climate controls may offer a good opportunity. Depending on what is mounted there, you could fab up a panel out of ABS that would fill the entire area. Then remove what's there and move the 12vdc outlet to your new panel. You could even just mount switches to the new panel and not bother with a switch box.

I had a '02 WJ with the identical interior. I was inactive in EMS at the time, but I sure did look at that dashboard and center console with an eye to installing stuff.

ff.brent20

Nov 1, 2011
Butler, WI
I have a buddy who works in a plastic mfg plant, he made me a custom insert for a smart siren control head when I did a buddy of mines jeep, the cup holder should pop out of the counsel. And we made the holder to fit in that slot, only down side is you lose your cup holders. Option 2 is to pull the center counsel base out, and get a nice piece of plexu glass or black plastic and make a custom plate to mount the sirens and stuff to and put them in you counsel. Plus side to that is they are hidden when not in use, negative you lose your counsel. Just a few ideas for you.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
ff.brent20 said:
I have a buddy who works in a plastic mfg plant, he made me a custom insert for a smart siren control head when I did a buddy of mines jeep, the cup holder should pop out of the counsel. And we made the holder to fit in that slot, only down side is you lose your cup holders. Option 2 is to pull the center counsel base out, and get a nice piece of plexu glass or black plastic and make a custom plate to mount the sirens and stuff to and put them in you counsel. Plus side to that is they are hidden when not in use, negative you lose your counsel. Just a few ideas for you.

CONSOLE, not COUNSEL.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I thought about taking the cup holders out and using 3M double sided tape to mount a smart siren and put the amp in the console or under the seat. Opinions on that idea?

The only thing I am wondering about is, would I be able to control a whelen edge from a smart siren? Forgive me cause I don't have much experience with them.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
If you don't use your cup holder much (typically unlikely) you could remove the cup holder and install both in that one spot. Maybe do a undercover siren and a simple switch box, Like 4 switches or something? Or you could looking into the whelen PCC8R. A lot of guys that have jeeps have used that switch box for lighting and their sirens. Its basically a all in one. But you will need a undercover siren to make it a all in one.

Med352974

Mar 3, 2013
Canton NY
So...I am dealing with an SUV that is not exactly used in emergency services a lot...a Chevy Equinox. I am looking for a console to be put in it. I do not know of any that are pre made, but if their are, then please let me know. I am looking at this switch panel, a radio, 4 cig plugs, and a small arm rest.

(These are not pictures of my specific car, but they are of the same year and show the same console)

IMG_2425.jpg

2005_chevrolet_equinox_pic 1.jpg

You can almost see the e brake in the below picture. It is on the base of the drivers seat.

2005_chevrolet_equinox_pic 2.jpeg

Apco25guy

Apr 29, 2011
Atlanta
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2 XTL5000s with the O5 control heads.. a 3rd XTL5000 with an O3 head is on its way...

Here is what I have so far...

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8539_8630260026_01d45c4edf_b.jpg

astolldorf

May 7, 2012
WoodstockIL/WaukeshaWI
Hey I am looking at making a custom wood console for my truck becaus eim just not sure a metal on will fit the greatest and this will prolly be better on my wallet. I was Wondering if anyone would have some advice, tips, or tricks that would be helpful in making the console. I would love to hear your imput to help make a better console. please let me know I apperciate the imput.

Its for a 1997 Dodge Dakota and im looking to put something infront of the seat (like infornt of the cup holders) in the center on the raised part of the floor in the center. there is that fold down center seat that folds down to an arm rest that I am going to keep but the cup holders slide out fron that that i would like to keep if i can.

Andrew

E8FF875E-EA88-484E-96AD-212D412D3600_13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Might be a good idea to say what vehicle, and what you are looking to mount also are you wanting a small console or full length so we can give you ideas on building it to fit.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
it'd also be a good idea to uise the search function because this has been discussed abotu a bajillion times....

astolldorf

May 7, 2012
WoodstockIL/WaukeshaWI
I added the kind of vehicle I had forgot about that part thanks for the reminder.

And I did use the search box but I didnt really come across one that had any tips or anything but it is possible I looked over it by chance

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Two things that can really help if you are determined to build a custom console for yourself...

First, look through every thread you can find on here that has console pics. There's a wealth of information to be had just for the looking. And you will find more than a few custom made consoles to look over as well.

Second, make cardboard mock-ups and really sort out the size and shape of what you want before you ever start cutting wood. You may have to make up a half dozen or more before you are truly happy with your design.

Personal observation: If I was tackling something like, I'd base the width of the console on the width of the standard console plates from Jotto, Havis, or Troy (pick one.) That way, you can pick up the right plates for your equipment and just drop them in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.