Old School Beacons On Modern Vehicles?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Fast LT1 said:
I've really been pondering whether or not to buy a truck and put a back rack on it with two Roto Beams (One red one blue)!

dmathieu said:
I would do it. The Rota Beams are some of my favorite lights, with a few models to choose from. That would look so slick. Whelen used to offer their Rota Beams on a bar.
Let me know, maybe I can help you out with lights and domes.

Dan

Not to mention, the RB6s are brighter than shit!! I found a NOS one a couple weeks ago, holy crap, bright... :eek: :eek:

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Some say the days of roof beacons are gone, given way to full bars. I say there's nothing better than a good old beacon or two on the roof/back rack. Good visibility and doesn't overload other drivers with 1000FPM like the new bars do.

A good roof beacon and some additional secondary lighting and you can't go wrong.

Chris.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
horsepowerphoto said:
Bringing nostalgia back!

View attachment 7276

When I see that paint scheme I think of 1970-1972 Plymouth Furies, Dodge Polaras, and Ford Galaxies. Cars from that era had an early style Federal Beacon Ray model 17 beacon on the roof, and a red stop light and a Federal SA24 speaker on the passenger's side fender. The sirens were early Federal PA15A Directors with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones (series 1D and earlier).

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
My latest project is looking something like this though. Let me know what your thoughts are on the jr beacon rays and mars 888 light?ai689.photobucket.com_albums_vv251_code3man_th_100_1104.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
car54 said:
My latest project is looking something like this though. Let me know what your thoughts are on the jr beacon rays and mars 888 light?ai689.photobucket.com_albums_vv251_code3man_th_100_1104.jpg
The Junior Beacon Ray has a fairly low amperage draw, the magnifying lenses produce very bright flashes, but the light beam is much more narrow in height than what you get with a PAR-36 #4416 bulb, so it's relatively ineffective at viewing angles much above or below parallel with the beacon. I think the Junior is really good as a secondary light, but not as good as a primary warning device. Virginia State Police used to mount a single Junior on their patrol cars back in the 1970's. They just did not seem to be very effective compared to the Signal Stat 374 that replaced the Juniors in the late 70's.

Just my two cents.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
car54 said:
Thanks, I was thinking the same. Looking at federal beacon ray 174's x2 or similar in size.
What color combinations are you allowed to use?

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
car54 said:

An option is to replace the Jr's with a pair of 17's or 173's. Super Beacon rays are great, but if I had a pair of supers I would leave them in the collection. I wouldn't put them on a vehicle.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Chris

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Wailer said:
When I see that paint scheme I think of 1970-1972 Plymouth Furies, Dodge Polaras, and Ford Galaxies. Cars from that era had an early style Federal Beacon Ray model 17 beacon on the roof, and a red stop light and a Federal SA24 speaker on the passenger's side fender. The sirens were early Federal PA15A Directors with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones (series 1D and earlier).

This is a Dominion Auto Flat Top.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
toon80 said:
This is a Dominion Auto Flat Top.

The Dominion Auto flat tops were used on RCMP tanks from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s (dark blue with white front door paint scheme). There were two mounted on a roof rack with a speaker in between. From the mid 1970s and well into 1980s the sirens were various versions of the Federal PA15A (low and high-pitched versions), and toward the end they were using the Federal PA300. They started mounting the speakers under the hood / behind the grille when the PA300 came into use.

During the 'blue and white' era I saw other types of lights on RCMP tanks, including dual large Grote four beam beacons with high bases, Federal Twin Sonic light bars, and Dietz Omni Chief light bars. I think I can even remember seeing one with a Federal Aerodynic light bar too.

evfd4822

May 7, 2011
USA, East Texas
Lt.214 said:
Honestly!
Oh I thought I would add 1 thing, if you look in the first picture(front view of the truck), I believe I see a Handicap permit hanging from the rear view mirror. Again something you don't see every day.

I mean I'm all for using the old school stuff if that's what you like, but damn! I would guess if 15 minutes of planning would have went into this, mounted the 14's over the center of the truck, do something with all the antennas and cut off the excess bar in each end, I'm sure it would look 100% better. :duh: :bonk:

This is just my opinion.

Chris

Im thinking this guy probably does piloting for wide loads. See a lot of trucks running around here with the tall antennas like that and wide beacons. Looks like butt, but I guess for them gets the job done. Im just curious how in texas he is getting away with red and blue if it is for that reason. If he is a Vol Firefighter. Red and Whites are allowable. But then again I have seen several running red and blues.

cory y

May 21, 2010
evfd4832 said:
Im thinking this guy probably does piloting for wide loads. See a lot of trucks running around here with the tall antennas like that and wide beacons. Looks like butt, but I guess for them gets the job done. Im just curious how in texas he is getting away with red and blue if it is for that reason. If he is a Vol Firefighter. Red and Whites are allowable. But then again I have seen several running red and blues.

Try again... If hes a Volunteer, he can run any color he wants to in Texas. Any Color restrictions are going to be by County or City ordinance or policy.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
ny04350 said:
Here's a good one...

Current Indiana SP car with a beacon ray. Assigned to a Sgt. Major, old school guy for sure. It's red-clear-red-blue model 175.

I want to cry BS on this. Creative photoshop, etc. But that picture looks real. That being said, I'm over on post road occasionally and have never seen this rig. I even worked in district 52 for a while and knew some of the brass and never heard about this! Going to have to do some research for sure. BTW, that is BAD ASS.

ETA-

Something else about the car is the graphics and the ball-mount low-band whip. They haven't put those ball-mounts on in several cars as nearly all low-band has been taken out of service. Also, the graphics are from the 1960s era which would be on par with the Hill Light.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Fireball, especially the FBH models, are quite effective as dash lighting in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
kadetklapp said:
I want to cry BS on this. Creative photoshop, etc. But that picture looks real. That being said, I'm over on post road occasionally and have never seen this rig. I even worked in district 52 for a while and knew some of the brass and never heard about this! Going to have to do some research for sure. BTW, that is BAD ASS.

ETA-

Something else about the car is the graphics and the ball-mount low-band whip. They haven't put those ball-mounts on in several cars as nearly all low-band has been taken out of service. Also, the graphics are from the 1960s era which would be on par with the Hill Light.

Its real. On another message board there were actual pictures of the car. It is assigned to a Sgt Major who has been on since the days of the old single light. They put the lowband on just for him. He is way old school with the buzz cut and the chewed cigar. He travels the state for recruitment so they give him a little perks for being there long.

copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Respondcode3 said:
Its real. On another message board there were actual pictures of the car. It is assigned to a Sgt Major who has been on since the days of the old single light. They put the lowband on just for him. He is way old school with the buzz cut and the chewed cigar. He travels the state for recruitment so they give him a little perks for being there long.

Awesome pics. In all my web-travels and networking I"ve never seen any of these!

Apr 22, 2011
Illinois
Respondcode3 said:

Yes it is real & here is a Pic I took of it at Cabela's in Hammond.

aimages56.fotki.com_v774_photos_9_1416379_8544443_Mar13_0007_vi.jpg

*EDIT* Forgot the Cigar

aimages116.fotki.com_v694_photos_9_1416379_8544443_Mar13_0011_vi.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.