Opening the Power/Audio Modular Connector

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I have a Federal PA20-A Series E Interceptor that had worked when it was set-up on my first work-table a couple of years ago. There was a lot of moving and shaking since then. I re-set it up last week and the power worked fine, but the siren didn't. I tested both speakers I had used with the Interceptor, with other sirens and they're fine. Then I tested the wires and it appears that one of the audio wires is off its post inside the modular connector. No big deal. Unless one is an old fart like me and can't remember how I fixed it the first time.
So...how do I get the center, silver pin out of the modular plug so I can re-solder the wire to its post. I've tried everything I can think of (old brain cells...) but nothing worked and I'm sure it a very simple fix.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Modular Harness Connector.JPG
    Modular Harness Connector.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 12

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Grab that pin on the side of the connector with your wire cutters an pull/twist it out.
Thanks, Kent! That's what I initially tried, but without the pliers. They did the trick. It's out, the lead is re-soldered, put back together and that Interceptor screams through the speaker of CJ184, just like the old days!
Thanks very much!!
Steve

Reactions: MtnMan

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Sounds like the siren and the speaker/light came off a fire engine. That was a common light / sound system on fire engines in the 1970s.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Though I can't vouch for exactly where my CJ184 came from, back in the late 70's when I was a volunteer in Guilford County NC our new Pierce 75-foot Squrt had two of these on top of the cab. No matter the weather, these lights were always seen!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.