Opinions on the brightest LED's

databurst

Aug 4, 2011
Colorado
I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on what they feel are the brightest model LED's in either Whelen or Code 3. I know that sometimes color plays a factor (for example, Blue is more visible than Amber). I'm shopping around for an amber/clear light bar. I've heard that LEDX's are the absolute brightest out there, but I've read on here that some people do not like them. I have a code 3 2100 lightbar in all Optix and IMO it doesn't seem too bright. With that said, what's everyone's opinion on what they feel are the brightest LED's (offered for a lightbar) they've seen or worked with?

Agent72

May 27, 2010
US Florida
I would agree with Solaris. They are used in many FS lightbars and Viper S2s. I have tested a lot of lights and finally settled on the Vipers with the solaris technology. The way it is constructed, it is surrounded with mirrors on all 3 sides, forcing the light straight out and creating great off axis. The LEDX from Code 3 are certainly bright, but don't utilize a reflector, which greatly diminishes off axis output.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
This is COMPLETELY subjective, and more of a personal preference than anything... Plus there are numerous threads about "what light is brightest" and so on... Use the Search function, it works great...

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
From the little of Tomar I've seen they are pretty bright too.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Fed Sig for sure.

Then again why does it matter? All of the major brands are bright enough to fit everyone's needs.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
WS224 said:
They generally hurt my eyes.

Good point. I think technology is getting to where we really can't safely go much brighter with LED's. :eek: More off-axis light dispersion, more efficient (more lumens per watt). Blinding drivers passing by is not safe.

May 21, 2010
Miami FL
I hear that the Feniex are bright, but Fed Sig have more popularity in the market, I have four Impaxx with almost two years of use with no poblem, just one fail because some water go inside. I think that we can say that Feniex are good in two years or so, we have to see how their work...

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
EMT-BLS said:
That was freaking AWESOME!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Agreed! Bookmark added... :D

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I have seen the Fenix T-4s and at first i thought they were china junk but then when i walked up and saw the name on it and i was like OH my bad its Fenix. They are bright HEAD ON im not gonna lie but they look like toy lights fron an angle and in my opinion ANY light can be bright HEAD ON nothing special to me. My Generic PODs i forgot whos name they had on them this week were the same brightness.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
I have recently become a fan of the Code 3 Torus/T-Rex lightheads...XT's aren't bad either.

Hard to beat the FS Solaris technology though, I love my Viper S2's :)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Station 3 said:
I have seen the Fenix T-4s and at first i thought they were china junk but then when i walked up and saw the name on it and i was like OH my bad its Fenix. They are bright HEAD ON im not gonna lie but they look like toy lights fron an angle and in my opinion ANY light can be bright HEAD ON nothing special to me. My Generic PODs i forgot whos name they had on them this week were the same brightness.

You do know that Fenix and Feniex are 2 different companies, right...?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
TritonBoulder47 said:
You do know that Fenix and Feniex are 2 different companies, right...?

Spelling/Grammar Fail + Mexican = Garza.... 'Nuff said....

May 21, 2010
Miami FL
Station 3 said:

I am using Impaxx from almost two years now, they are really bright, I compare with whelen tir3, lin3, pimp and sound off, the Impaxx are bright. Checking the reviews and opinions I am going to try with the Feniex T4 because I like the concept of two colors in the same light, sync the lights in split option you will seen better, that way all the time the four leds are on.

Do you think that your PODs are brighter than the T4???

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
My top choices.

Tomar RECT 25 (high power) OR Tomar 200s (high power as well)

FedSig ViperS2 (fedsig solaris)

both on and off axis is amazing, which is what has sold me on these two. Now, Fedsig is a bit cheaper than tomar, so thats the main difference for me when choosing.

IRISH24

Apr 30, 2012
California
Most of the LED light bars out there are very bright. But there is no doubt that the Tomar Scorpion light bar is the best built and will last the longest without issues.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I think when you want to get lights you need to determine how much you want to spend. If you have the money to spend I believe that Tomar are bright. I had the smaller Impaxx on my rear plate. Never had any problems with them. I like the clean housing as well. It is a bright light. If you catch a sale at Galls you can get them at a decent price. I had the Impaxx 600 on my running boards. They were red/clear. I had diodes hooked to them. I could use them like takedowns without having to have them flash first. Two of them as takedowns would do a decent job of lighting up my front yard.

Last week I stopped at a local SOS dealer. We put a Nforce next to the Impaxx6. The SOS was red/clear. The SOS was noticably brighter then the Impaxx6. The cost of the two lights is comparable. I got the 9 LED Nforce yesterday. It is impressive. I had a LS12 in my side window and the Nforce had a better off axis.

I think it isn't just what is brighter. You have to consider cost and application. Optics play into that as well. I remember when led's first came out. They were bright straight on. But take a couple steps to the side and it was nowhere near as bright. Just my .02

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
IRISH24 said:
Most of the LED light bars out there are very bright. But there is no doubt that the Tomar Scorpion light bar is the best built and will last the longest without issues.

Wow, that's quite a statement, especially given all the lightbars out there. You've examined all the others, have you? What did you think of the internal construction of the FS Valor?

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
ark_firefighter said:
www.micromanindustries.com offers true 3watt leds ... I've yet to see any big boy mfg's to updrade to that.

Actually most of the big name manufacturer's are using "3 Watt" LEDS, even Axixtech does. The issue is, how hard do they drive them? Do they drive them at the full 3 watts and get bright light and lower life or do the underdrive them and still get decent output and longer life?

Case in point, the Whelen Vertex uses 6, 3 Watt, LEDs and drive them at about 1.8 Watts, the Axixtech HAL09 uses 9, 3 Watt, LEDs and drives them at about 2.2 Watts. Both use 3 Watt LEDs, but different number and at different drive levels.

Let's not even get into reflectors and optics that change/distort the light pattern distribution.

The best way to tell is to ask for a copy of the NFPA test sheet, then compare apples to apples.

BTW, the brightest light head on the market is the PowerArc M90 series. PowerArc freely posts the NFPA output specs of it's lights in it's online catalog. Go to PowerArc Warning Lights, click the online catalog and go to page 17 for the numbers. Does any other manufacturer do that?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ford.. I mean Chevy.. no wait... Dodge

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.