P25 UHF and 800mhz HT's

Mike343

Sep 23, 2015
California
I just got word that my research application was accepted and I'll be heading to parts of Africa this summer/fall!

One of the curious items I noticed was that we'll need to either bring our own handheld radios to talk to the various security/safety people out there like Rangers and Wardens and medical crews, or we can rent them from local dealers.

The UHF P25 (no brand name or info) will cost $1800 a month to rent :|

Yeah, I don't have Nat Geo grant money... I have public school scraping every penny and eating ramen and lots of canned beans money! (literally sold a ton of my stuff just for the flight and stuff!)

So I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations on radios that would be easy to program and affordable/cheap, as in old classic bricks are A-ok as long as it transmits and receives.

The frequencies I've been given are
25 800mhz conventional freqs 857.4375mhz to around 868

18 P25 UHF frequencies
506.3125 and 491.9625 are the median areas

and 4 UHF conventional frequencies
453.375 and the rest are in the 482 and 485 range.

So no trunking, the P25 digital is about exotic as it gets. The hard part is the range from UHF to UHF-T, to 800mhz. There's also some VHF-Lo stuff 36-39mhz but I can use a scanner for those.

I don't know if there's any cheapo chinese stuff out these that might work for this, but since it's Africa, FCC and Part 90/95 doesn't really matter at all too. Ease of programming as stuff can change over there in the blink of an eye, especially in Chad, is important. I won't be able to send stuff back or contact a dealer.

Any thoughts?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
An xts2500 uhf high split would do the trick 450-520mhz. I'd get an FPP model for both uhf and 800 that way you can change on the fly. I'd also go with a 2500 for 800. This way u can use the same accessories n charger. Less to bring. You can also use the batt and charger with a ht1250 for low band if you go that route.

Finding a 800 FPP maybe a bit of a challenge but not impossible.

The other nice thing about the 2500 is its small compared to the 5000. I have owned several over the years and they work well.

If you need more help, pm me.

Good luck,
Seth

Reactions: Mike343

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
These FCC may not apply but I bet the ITU does so might want to do some research

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.