Peekskill, NY EMS - 2011 Ford Expedition Fly Car 75-05

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
This truck belongs to Peekskill EMS. This agency was formerly a VAC but changed to EMS when they hired paid staff durring the daytime. This 2011 Ford Expedition was put in service a few weeks ago and is used as a BLS Fly car.

I remember going through the center of Peekskill, Ny., in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

I was surprised to see their Fully Marked Police Cruisers.

They were (both) VW BUGS.

Anyone have any photos of them?

What exactly is the purpose of a "BLS fly-car?"

When I've heard fly-car tossed around in the past, it's typically an ALS unit operating as an intercept, with a medic going out to meet a BLS transport crew and provide ALS care.

I'd assume what you've posted is more along the lines of what we would locally refer to as QRS (Quick Response Service) a non-transport vehicle staffed with an EMT intended to allow you to spread out your EMS coverage a little better and possibly get someone on scene before the ambulance? Does that sound right?

RescueWV said:
What exactly is the purpose of a "BLS fly-car?"

When I've heard fly-car tossed around in the past, it's typically an ALS unit operating as an intercept, with a medic going out to meet a BLS transport crew and provide ALS care.

I'd assume what you've posted is more along the lines of what we would locally refer to as QRS (Quick Response Service) a non-transport vehicle staffed with an EMT intended to allow you to spread out your EMS coverage a little better and possibly get someone on scene before the ambulance? Does that sound right?

It's basically the same concept as an ALS FLy car. Gets to the scene fast or can intercept the ambulance on scene if no other EMT or driver is available. May also be used for manpower transport, Incident command, officer transport (Chief Car), transport family members or holding down a scene while waiting for a mutual aid ambulance. A QRS is the same concept but each agency has different uses for their fly cars. There are some agencies that run only fly cars, as well.

One of my local FD's fly car. They run BLSFR. It can be signed out as a take home car or is left at the stations for anyone's use.

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6226_6212708565_132e97b10a_z.jpg

This fly car is part of a volunteer EMT/Paid Medic system. It's given to an EMT as a take home car and responds when they can't get a driver or need manpower on scene.

afarm7.staticflickr.com_6010_6016160146_b6f0955ce0_z.jpg

This is also a fly car, it's part of a police/rescue deparmtent in Vermont. All officers are EMT's and respond on all medical calls. They carry a fully stocked BLS kits, O2 and an AED. These guys are always first on scene since an ambulance can take up to 30+ minutes to arrive. This vehicle was also posted here.

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7002_6534140291_39f6e8abdf_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the graphics on the tahoe and expedition, but holy F#@K, i would not want to be a PO or SO in a honda element!

Also that Winhall Police car is also an active patrol car for law enforcement.

i love the graphics on the tahoe!! :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottishLightbarCollector