Project idea: solar-powered, remote-controlled lightbar or modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2012
New England
Title sums it up well. I was throwing ideas back and forth with some friends the other night and it turns out they are well down the road to designing a prototype lightbar. I offered my input, and now will have a role in the project. The ringleader is an absolutely incredible electrical engineer who could probably pull this off on his own if he wanted to (he designs systems for military aircraft and has mind-blowing ideas).

The idea is for personal use and not production, though if something were to come of it, perhaps get a patent and offer it to the big industry companies.

I am sure a book could be written about this, but keeping it simple for now.

Has anyone tried this? Is it wiser to consider light modules rather than a whole bar?

The main factors we are dealing with now are the remote system, a housing to incorporate the solar panels, the charging system, and batteries.

Some things we discussed included finding the most efficient solar panel design (monocrystalline?), using LiPo batteries, and keeping the remote to a single button. Settings such as flash patterns could be set inside the lightbar by the user, maybe even with a programming port and simple software. Features such as arrowstick-type indicators would come later once we get the bar itself into a working, physical object.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok?

why?

one of the manufacturers already makes a lightbar with optional solar  panels to keep the CARS battery charged whiel its in use... or sitting somewhere with the car off etc....

Reactions: tsquale
May 10, 2012
New England
Thank you for reading Jarred.

The reason that sparked this was a volunteer who did not want to drill holes in a vehicle for a lightbar control wire, but who wanted a full-sized bar that was removable. After that it just became an intriguing project to pursue.

I have seen one of those bars, that's what gave me some inspiration on fitting the panels to the housing/chassis of the bar. But Mr. Engineer has his own ideas for that already :crazy:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
So what your searching for is the ability of a wireless lightbar. Stuff an edge bar with batteries and slap a solar panel on top. Safety wise its not practical because what happens when the batteries die? Your in the dark then, not a good idea. There isn't enough surface area vs power usage to make it stuff Sustaining. I don't know watts/meter squared and the draw of an all led lightbar (as halogen lights would draw far too much) but I can bet it wouldn't last long

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the battery capacity and weight alone would require several hundred pound pull of magnets. if you "rail mount it" then its no longer temporary.

lets say you have an edge lightbar that pulls 9 amps an hour. in order to work an 8 hour shift you would need "in theory" 72 amp hours of battery storage. and that's if its on day shift and no rain.... the idea is not feasible.... on anything other than a Led minibar  (but then it would no longer be a mini... because even with polycrystalline panels all your going to get on that surface are is maybe 10 watts or less tha;s less tha an amp an hour recharge_). The technology in panels and batteries isn't there yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Federal Signal made a bunch of solar powered Arjent bars for Arizona DOT a few years ago.  They have quite a few (100+?) in service now.  The bar has wireless control, so there are no holes in the roof at all.

http://azdot.gov/media/blog/posts/2012/05/08/adot-continues-to-explore-solar-lighting-to-save-on-fuel

The solar panels are very high efficiency and are not inexpensive, and they are custom-made for the Arjent's shape.  The additional expense is quickly paid off with fuel savings, though.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's already been done....

Reactions: tsquale

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
yes it has been done but the OP was toying with the idea of a non-permanent  version, at least what I am grabbing from it.

I think his thought is to try and make it magnetic which by the sounds, may not be possible unless there are light batteries out there which would be more expensive then drilling holes and having body work done to repair them.  

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Only issue with lithium is heat. That shiny aluminum framed bar probably get pretty toasty inside to the point of damaging the battery packs or even possibly exploding them.

Reactions: Jarred J.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The reason that sparked this was a volunteer who did not want to drill holes in a vehicle for a lightbar control wire, but who wanted a full-sized bar that was removable. After that it just became an intriguing project to pursue.
Its a good idea in theory, wireless control is easy peasy, especially with the tech in todays cars, you could even use the key fob (which most cars have now) or cell phone to control the bar (they've got apps for everything else...why not?).  LED, battery and solar tech has come a long way as well, but I don't think its totally there yet, LED heads still pull .5-1amp per head sooooo......

Practicality has some issues though...if you clamp mount a full size bar to make it easily removable then okay.  But mounting a full size bar with magnets?.... :nono: ...mini bar fine, they been doing that for years anyway. 

Run time...as someone else said, it should have enough capacity to run all night on a full charge, (public safety is a 24hr job) and if you park in a garage or live in Alaska you would need to incorporate a Kussmaul or Battery Tender type system to keep the batteries fresh.

Heck I'd buy one if it wasn't stupid expensive...and I'm surprised that someone from JDI hasn't chimed in here yet....... 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.