Removable decals?

Paul

May 21, 2010
Arizona
Hello all,

I am going to be using my polaris ranger for work stuff but it will obviously be mine and will use it for non work related stuff. I am looking for a way to put decals on the atv but so I can remove them when not needed. The traditional magnetic ones wont work since the needed areas arent metal.

Thanks,

Paul

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
You also may want to consider a "pin mount" type system- (or a bolt type system) with the decals mounted on removable panels.

I've never seen a single removable/replacable decal last longer than 5 applications, and thats in ideal conditions (surface cleaned/prepped each/every time, handled with kids gloves, etc) also any dirt/dust is bad.. and removable decals LOVE to stretch out of shape real easy.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
With the decals mounted on thin sheet metal, I have seen temporary signs place in a reverse L or box- U channel made of aluminum channel with set screws. Nashville Fire Department does this with their ambulance unit numbers (since magnets won't stick to sheet aluminum either).

Another service pop riveted some sheet metal attachment points on fiberglass for a decal about the size of a bumper sticker, painted it white, and went ahead and used magnetic decals. No reason you couldn't paint such sheet metal panels the color of the Polaris or other vehicle. If it is only one time use, painter's tape in blue or green can be removed easily.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
If the area is thin enough and accessible, put a magnetic sign on it and stick some 90 pound donut magnets behind the sign, under the panel.

Paul

May 21, 2010
Arizona
unlisted said:
You also may want to consider a "pin mount" type system- (or a bolt type system) with the decals mounted on removable panels.

I think I will try this. I will put the decals on a sheet metal and then just screw it in maybe?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Paul said:
I think I will try this. I will put the decals on a sheet metal and then just screw it in maybe?

I would not really recommend simply "screwing it in" since it won't last if you plan on removing/reinstalling it- the screw threads will quickly rip out the biting in the hole it makes.

I'd still suggest a pin/mini bolt system where the pins ( mini bolts) stay in place. . You can dress it up/make it more sturdy with wide washers, multiple nuts to hold down the bolts when the sign is removed, color match the bolts/washers, painting the sheet metal to match the color of the vehicle, etc. Pretty cheap and easy, takes a tiny bit more time than simply screwing but looks much more professional over time.

I've even seen one where the sheet metal had a "U" folded in the top- and simply looped over the cargo bars, and only two bolts for the lower part of the sheet metal, securing it from moving around or detaching accidentally. You could even get away with one lower bolt... if semi centered on the lower sheet metal. (not at a corner)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Made a quick and dirty paint drawing design for the two options I'm trying to convey. For ease of understanding, I did leave some "gaps" where they normally would not be. (all bolts should be tightened down) With this, you can remove the sign, and leave the bolts/machine screws mounted as is. (use short machine screws) ;)

ai110.photobucket.com_albums_n83_unlisted8495_Forum_17ce1691.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.