Replacement PS for Whelen 9000 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
FOUND.  Thank you for all replies.

I need a replacement for a strobe power supply for a VFD in my area.  Whelen 01-0267687-00C is the bad unit.  Appears to be an ancient model.  Shipping to south central Texas.*

Thank you.

*It has to fit in the bar without major modifications, so don't offer me the 110V power supply you got when you wrecked out a disco in 1980.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Am I even asking for the correct replacement PS?  I can't find anything on that model number I posted.  I have not seen the bar to verify what model it is.

Jazz, check with Charger Lighting (member here).

PM sent.  Thanks for the lead, Pete.

Can you use a 9m power supply?
PM sent.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have several 6 outlet supplies, you will more than likely have to reconfigure the connectors .

"4) used Whelen UB412 strobe lightbar power supplies $40.00 each "

from this post:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I still haven't seen it.  I'm getting it for an area chief who tried to describe the bar and PS to me.  As I said, I couldn't find anything on that part number.  (I did not call Whelen.)

Here's how he described it:

supply.jpg

Reactions: Pete L. and Skippy

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
And this it what it REALLY was. 

PS.jpg

Now to see if Whelen makes available adaptor cables.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Thanks.  I believe so.  Seller told me about this, too.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Well, Whelen does not make adaptor cables, so I guess I'll be joining the fire chief for some wiring this weekend.

both.JPG

The original one is at the top of the photo; the one we'll be cobbling is at the bottom. 

I'll introduce the chief as to why they say to let strobe power supplies rest without current applied for 10 minutes.  :stars:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
It's easy enough to build an adapter, if you have the plugs/parts. I could do it for you. Or, you could reuse the plug on the crapped out on. You'll just need to pair wires. Or, you could forego the plugs completely and use crimp connectors. I would use spade or bullet in case you need to remove the supply again at a later time.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
He hasn't called me.  Perhaps he's angry that I didn't get him something that will just drop in place.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
http://www.whelen.com/install/132/13217.pdf

Working off of these....

Pair the blacks and reds and purples, those are constant pos, neg, and low power.

You will need to add/find wires for the grey & white wires on the new supply. Those are the outlet low current turn ons. The green wire on the old supply was strobe plug 2 outlet disable. You could use the wire going to the green wire, tie into both the white & grey, and switch wiring at the switchbox from disable to enable.

Also, if you want different patterns, connect the brown wire on the new supply. 

The blue and green wires on the new supply are not used.

Anyone want to review and confirm or make changes???

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I will pass this on.  Thanks!

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Jazz, are you still looking for a straight drop in power supply ??

I was digging through my tubs and found a supply with that 4 pin amp connector.

It's an old one but still works. At some point, the fuse was replaced with a 15amp thermal breaker.

Let me know,

-Pete

EdgePwrSply Jazz 001.JPG

EdgePwrSply Jazz 002.JPG

EdgePwrSply Jazz 003.JPG

Reactions: rwo978

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'll let the chief know, Pete.  (I can't quite make out the writing on your's.  Does it say 'OK tested 6/5/64'?)

I did see the bar, and bet there is more room in there than what he has told me.  It's on the roof of a pickup cab, and is fully populated.  The rear lights shine very nicely into the utility box 6 inches behind the bar.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Damn, Jazz

Your eyes are as bad as mine . . . . . getting older sucks.

What you see is " 6/5/14 "

That's when I got it and I test it before I  "SEND IT TO THE TUBS"  :haha:

I re-tested it last week.

Maybe we can work out a trade on that bottom power supply of yours.

-Pete

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That's 6/5/1814 should fit in nicely with your pictures of 1800's woman :D

Reactions: JazzDad

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
Wait a minute. If the rears flash into a utility box, swap the power supplies. Save yourself a ton of trouble and sell the spare parts you've obtained to start working towards led 400s.

Reactions: rwo978

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It's rear-facing halogens on a wig-wag pattern.  Not a big market for them. :(

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
There may still be.  I saw the (partilally working) bar lit up, but have not yet seen inside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.