Restoring Metal Surfaces

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I was hoping some of you might have some tips or ideas on how to polish and clean up rotators? I've got an XL bar that I'm working on and am hoping to get 3 of the rotators cleaned up to be close to the one I have that really shines. I've posted a pick with the clean one and one of the 3 that need cleaning. Thanks!

ai337.photobucket.com_albums_n363_dirtracer4life63_photo_4_1.jpg

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Sometimes you can clear up that yellowing with a very light scrubbng from an sos pad and finish off with some plast-x polish, ive had good results with that

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Just a thought.... we have a thread for polishing domes. How about a sticky thread for polishing/restoring other parts of lightbars, like rotators, chrome, other parts....??? I know I bought a light recently that I have a NOS dome coming for, but will need some restoring on the base and motor.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rwo978 said:
Just a thought.... we have a thread for polishing domes. How about a sticky thread for polishing/restoring other parts of lightbars, like rotators, chrome, other parts....??? I know I bought a light recently that I have a NOS dome coming for, but will need some restoring on the base and motor.

I made this a sticky and changed the title to a more broad one.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14tag.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14bottom.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14gears.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14gearsclose.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14gears.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_Model14chromeplating.jpg

OK. This will be my first attempt at a restoration. Got this for a great deal from ChargerLighting. It works and lights up, although the bulbs flicker some when the right bulb holder is over the motor, so on the left side. I think a good cleaning will take care of that.

Where do I start with cleaning this up? Will most of that gunk inside just wipe off? What do I use to clean up the metal after the gunk is off? Just metal polish and some elbow grease? Any power tools I might want to invest in?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Also, it looks like there's 2 different bulb holders. Which is the 'correct' one for the series (A3)?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
rwo978 said:
It works and lights up, although the bulbs flicker some when the right bulb holder is over the motor, so on the left side. I think a good cleaning will take care of that.

The grime on the contact plate and bulb-holder brushes and contacts can be cleared out using some electrical contact cleaner and wiping down with a clean cloth/rag. For the plate, dmathieu suggested in a different thread to use a pencil eraser to clean it up real good.

rwo978 said:
Where do I start with cleaning this up? Will most of that gunk inside just wipe off?

The first thing I'd do is disassemble the entire beacon so all parts can be individually cleaned. From the looks of it, Ryan, it seems that all the cream-colored goop is old white grease spray. Very easy to remove with a moist rag and cleaned up with Goo-Gone so nothing sticky remains.

rwo978 said:
What do I use to clean up the metal after the gunk is off? Just metal polish and some elbow grease? Any power tools I might want to invest in?

Metal polish from Mother's or Turtle Wax should do just fine. Hand-cleaning the parts is best, and the base could be buffed with metal polish and a Mother's Power Ball on a variable-speed drill. I would clean the base off with soap and water first and dry before buffing. Other power tools...ehh, not sure about that. 14 beacons aren't too complicated to get around.

rwo978 said:
Also, it looks like there's 2 different bulb holders. Which is the 'correct' one for the series (A3)?

Both can be considered correct for the A3 series. I've seen A3 14s on here with both the full-cast holder and cut-out cast holder. Mike over at Dakota Guns and Lawman in Bismarck has some of both styles of holders in stock (plus other Federal beacon parts), so I'm sure he can hook you up with whichever one you want. Hope this gives you a good start on your resto, Ryan!

Note: All above advice are my own ideas for a project like this. Other collectors are free to give their input as well ;) !

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Got partially thru the Model 14, still have some fine tuning to do while waiting for the NEW dome. There was a lot of pitting to the pan, the gear and motor bracket, and rotator shaft. Is there anything, short of sanding the crap out of it, that will get rid of some of the pitting? It looks a lot better after going over it with a wire brush and drill, but that pitting....

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14bottom.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14Pan.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14gears.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14gearsclose.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14pitting.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Projects_20Reviews_Restorations_th_MidModel14plating.jpg

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
rwo978 said:
It looks a lot better after going over it with a wire brush and drill, but that pitting....

Hi there,

the only suggestion I have to remove pitting is by heavy sanding. I have had good results in the past on metal ship decks with this:

3M Rust and Paint Stripper 03172, Coarse grit

I used it with an industrial high-speed portable grinder. I don't know if the results will be as good on a home hand-drill. I eats through the plate until the pitting is flattened out. You will have to disassemble the beacon to efficiently get to the part of the plate you want to restore. Your beacon is getting better and better :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.