Retirement was boring...*Updated 2-22-2017*

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I finally installed the bumper guard with fog lights I got about a year ago. I rigged a couple blue lenses on them while I look for a better bluing solution. The factory fog lights are still white and I have a real pet peeve when there is too much white on a vehicle as it drowns out the colors that identify what authority the vehicle has. It is also blinding at night. I wired all four fog lights to the existing fog light circuit. That saves me a switch plus when I turn my headlights off they turn off with it so I won't accidentally leave them on. They run through a standard Federal Signal FA3 Flasher and all the wiring and the flasher are tucked behind the bumper. The FA3 is also in a cocoon of electrical tape to keep water out. Teardrop in the front window is still on its factory cigarette plug.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
By the way, that truck is a 2002 that I bought in 2005. Even my insurance agent can't believe it is 15 years old. The Southwest is kind to vehicles, if you meet it halfway and do your part. :)

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Wolfie,
I have to agree with 801. The slow wig-wag on the fog lamps looks great on the truck. Do you have any plans for the rear of the vehicle?

And as one of those Volleys who at one time thought more is better, simple is always better and a solid mix of technology from time to time does help.

Dennis
NVFD612

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
.....Do you have any plans for the rear of the vehicle?.....
Well the teardrop on the dash is temporary. I am trying to decide if I want to bolt a full 47" bar to the roof or mount strobes in the windows. The bar is more effective, but interior strobes are easier to cover in case I go to a state that has issue with my lights.

Reactions: NVFD612

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Well the teardrop on the dash is temporary. I am trying to decide if I want to bolt a full 47" bar to the roof or mount strobes in the windows. The bar is more effective, but interior strobes are easier to cover in case I go to a state that has issue with my lights.
Can never go wrong with a 47" bar...

Reactions: Wolfie

Jul 14, 2014
NV
one more vote for 47, especially if you have a long response or traffic. My vote is for a MX7000 that would be perfect and period correct for your pickup.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
one more vote for 47, especially if you have a long response or traffic. My vote is for a MX7000 that would be perfect and period correct for your pickup.
Excalibur is always a good option too, with a lower profile...

Reactions: NVFD612

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I do have to say that if I go with a 47" Jetstream, I can always swap outer domes with the amber 70" Jetstream I plan on mounting on my flatbed wrecker. That, or in a pinch, I can always slide the domes off and remove the colored filters on the side of the highway while I am getting yelled at. Federal's Jet* series is great for altering colors on the spot.

^This is in case I am out of state and local law there has issue with out of state firefighter lights.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
My Federal FA3 got filled with water during a storm, so I replaced it with a Tridon flasher and tucked it up under the hood instead of behind the bumper.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
Love the slow wig-wag flash.

So do I. I think the slow wig-wag is still the single best method for getting attention and moving traffic. If I was a volunteer, the first thing I'd do is install wig wag headlights, and (2) red par 36 halogen wig-wags on the front of my truck.

Just don't forget the rear. I hate when you come up on a crash and a volunteer firefighter is parked right in the middle of the road with lights to the front, but nothing showing to the rear.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
...and (2) red par 36 halogen wig-wags...
State won't allow us red to the front on our personal vehicles. I can have any other color I want though. Just no red to the front and no white to the rear.
Just don't forget the rear. I hate when you come up on a crash and a volunteer firefighter is parked right in the middle of the road with lights to the front, but nothing showing to the rear.
I am temporarily guilty of this, but I haven't attempted to stop in traffic. I have a pair of 7" red/blue lights I plan on wig-wagging on the tailgate during the week though.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I put some stuff on the rear. I never have enough daylight hours so I brought the whole tailgate inside to butcher it. There are a pair of red/blue Weldon 1010 lights on a Triden WigWag flasher. (After watching the attached video, I see that flasher echos pretty loud inside the tailgate.) I also put red reflective tape along the top and bottom.
20170220_183027.jpeg
This is not complete! I am thinking either an arrowstik or maybe a mini bar or two behind the back window, mounted about halfway up so it can be seen from a distance. Suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrownVic97

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I don't think anyone's going to miss those... ;)
Oh I am sure someone will. I still might put an arrowstik in there or something. The insides of those were black, but I sprayed them white to reflect better. They also stick out about an inch so I figure I have a good 180 degrees of coverage off the back. :)

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Code 3 Slikstik.....

Either of those two would look slick, mesh well with your other warning. The later would give you the arrow stick function you wanted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.