Running cables through Ford PIU front doors

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I'm trying to run wiring through the front doors of a 15 Ford PIU. There's really no good way to make it from the door to the body. The wire boot has a connector at the body and I'm unable to get past that. I've looked around and haven't been able to find the answer. So, how does everyone run the wiring for mirror beams or intersectors? I'm kinda at a loss right now. Thanks!!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I drilled out a few of the openings in the connectors to pass wires through.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Hmm... I don't even see how I could do that. Happen to have any pics on how you did that? I may be able to drill a hole from the inside to just below the grommet connector, but it'll be tight. I wish Ford made a wire pass through for the doors too, lol. But with more length on the pig tail, unlike the firewall pass through, ha ha.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I took the connector and there were several spots for wires that weren't used, I drilled those out and ran my wire through

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Ah, unless I'm mistaken, but it should already be wired from the factory for the mirror beams. I've never needed to run wires into the front doors of a PIU. There should be a ground, sync, power, and pattern change wires in the factory mirror plug. I just grab everything there.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I didn't know that it was prewired for mirror beams there. Although, this PIU was ordered with no options except for the interior upgrade package. I believe it was used as parking enforcement by the previous agency. The only thing it had it is was a license plate reader. So, I'm not sure if it'll have that wiring. I'll have to look at the upfitter guide again and see if it's in there. If that is the case, then that'll save me a TON of work. Otherwise, trying to get the wires through the door to the body appears nearly impossible from what I'm seeing. Or at least extremely difficult. I'll check and get back to everyone. Thanks!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
So I'm not seeing a way to run through the normal wire pass through on the door. I don't feel comfortable taking the connector off. Theres just not enough room in there. I also can't seem to find the wires for the mirror beams. But I'm also installing the Fusions mirror mounts, not Whelens. So it's back to the drawing board for me. I think I can get a drill bit from the inside to just below the door grommet. But I'm gonna hold of for the time being until I get a better idea. I'll work on other parts of the car for now.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Weird, I never came across a 2015 or 2016 that wasn't pre-wired. Should be a gray and yellow, gray and orange, and two others (I forget); all next to each other.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Well, I did find it after I looked again. Violet/orange, gray/yellow, gray/brown and black are all in a row. But I was hoping to tap into that at the mirror there, like you stated and then and also on the other side buy the kick panels. Essentially bypassing any bcm, flasher, or other internals, since I need both mirrors to be independently trigger. However, there's 2 of the violet/orange and 2 of another color on the outgoing side of the loom. I'm afraid to cut and get the wrong one. :/

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Well, I did find it after I looked again. Violet/orange, gray/yellow, gray/brown and black are all in a row. But I was hoping to tap into that at the mirror there, like you stated and then and also on the other side buy the kick panels. Essentially bypassing any bcm, flasher, or other internals, since I need both mirrors to be independently trigger. However, there's 2 of the violet/orange and 2 of another color on the outgoing side of the loom. I'm afraid to cut and get the wrong one. :/

I'm confused (it maybe just because I just woke up) but those wires are already ran through the door up to the factory mirror plug. All you need to do is mount you mirror light, run your wire through the mirror housing, and attach pin terminals to your lighthead wires and use the factory plug at where the door meets the mirror.

Once that's done, you can cut the factory wires at the kick panels and connect your wires there.

This is how I've done it for installs with Carbide, CanTrol, or bluePRINT where I can't just use the factory trigger.

Just apply power to the factory harness at the console to the warning and pattern change wires and use a meter to see which ones to cut at the kick panel.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
No, I'm tracking. I've got it now. You're explanation made sense, thank you. It just took me a moment. This is the first mirror I've done on a PIU, so I'm a bit flustered with it and a few other things on this build. I wish Ford would put that in the upfitter manual about the mirrors. It seems like they put just enough in there to get you in trouble, lol. If it is, then I apparently glazed right over it.

Although, I don't have the pins for the mirror connector.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
You wouldn't happen to have the part number for those pins or the generic name. I believe I can get those at the auto parts store, but I want to make sure I get the right ones.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Ok, so a little update. I got the Feniex mirror covers wired up, using the stock Ford connectors in the mirror. I found the wiring coming from the kick panel on the inside of the PIU. I cut those wires and put my own wiring in to run to the controller. (Bypassing the BCM or whereever it goes)

The wires for the mirrors are: violet/orange, gray/orange, gray/brown. The last was ground which doesn't need to be tapped into at the kickpanel. All the grounds for the door get grounded somewhere else. I got lucky on the pins for the connector. I looked on mouser.com, found a connector that looked similar, found the appropriate pins for 18-22 awg wire and ordered them on amazon prime (I got lucky and order the last of them on prime). The part number for future reference is: TE Connectivity Part Number 2-1419158-5. This should be for a strip of 5. You can order more if needed. You can also order from mouser or waytek wire as well, but their quantity requirements are general higher. Any questions, let me know.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
And thanks tackleberry, for the heads up about the mirrors being pre-wired. That helped immensely. Once I had that information, it made doing the mirrors a breeze!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.