Running wire out of truck cab ('14 Ram Crew Cab)

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
Im going to be installing my lights and siren into my '14 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab and as part of my install, I'll have Cannons replacing my reverse lights. I need to get my power wire back there so I was just looking for ideas/pictures that others have used to get the wire out of the cab and back to that area. I'm trying to locate the wiring harness that supplies the taillights and trailer wiring in hopes of not having to drill an additional hole (for obvious reasons) but I'm having a difficult time doing so.

Also, I see that speaker mounting locations seem to be a challenge as well with the new style grilles, so help there would be a plus as well.

Thanks!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Have an automatic? Go through the the hole where the clutch pedal would be located. There is a piece of plastic bolted over the hole-drill and pass the wire through the plastic. That is where I ran all my wiring, and others have as well. Easiest way without drilling through metal.

Do you have the skid plate protection group? If so, use the front of the skid plate for the siren mounting. There is two holes located on the forward tab which sticks forward of the front axle. If you don't have the protection group, order the front skid plate- its only 80 bucks. http://moparonlineparts.com/1500-skid-plate-p-7610.html

Reactions: firebuff17

slash9dotnet

Feb 2, 2012
Conneaut, Ohio
I was actually referring to going out of the back of the cab for the rear lighting. I got out the front via the hood release cable grommet actually already but I'm definitely going to look into the speaker mounting location again, as you stated. I believe I have the skid plate...

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
If you want to go out the back there are grommets in the under seat storage bins in the back seat. That's what I used. It was easy for me as I had 2 large wire loom cable bundles that ran from rear of truck to a mounting board that I mounted behind my back seat.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you want to go out the back there are grommets in the under seat storage bins in the back seat. That's what I used. It was easy for me as I had 2 large wire loom cable bundles that ran from rear of truck to a mounting board that I mounted behind my back seat.
Got a pic or three of this? I looked when I did an install in my previous truck and couldn't find a single rear option.

...mind you my old truck had been undercoated so...

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3169.JPG
Here are a couple quick pics of where I was talking about. I forgot I drilled my own holes. The grommets are on the bottom of the storage bin. I use my bins so I didn't want the cables coming out of there. I put them in the back of the bin for a lesser chance of getting damaged or in the way.
Can't really get any from inside the cab as I would have to take the seat out so I could pull the carpet back to view it. I looked through the pics I had taken during the install but I guess I didn't take any inside the bin.

Last edited:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
View attachment 164311 View attachment 164312
Here are a couple quick pics of where I was talking about. I forgot I drilled my own holes. The grommets are on the bottom of the storage bin. I use my bins so I didn't want the cables coming out of there. I put them in the back of the bin for a lesser chance of getting damaged or in the way.
Can't really get any from inside the cab as I would have to take the seat out so I could pull the carpet back to view it. I looked through the pics I had taken during the install but I guess I didn't take any inside the bin.
Have additional photos of your install ? Wouldn't mind taking a look how you organized everything in the back of your truck.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Totally lost how you managed to get behind your back seat.. I have a limited, I think the trim level difference came into play.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Lol. I found a way on ram forum. Behind the seats should all be the same for all Trim Levels. If you have the split folding back seat the process would be the same. You would just have 4 more bolts in the middle. There is a fair amount of room back there. You could fit or hide a lot of stuff back there.
Unbolt the back seat from he floor. Place a 3/4" nut (acting as a spacer) through the bolts that you took out. Bolt the seat back down. Then when you lift your lower seat, like you would to access storage bins, pull forward on the upper. When the seat reaches about 45-60 degrees the seat back will release from the hooks, thus providing you with flip down seat. And this will give you access to where I placed the mounting board.
Although when I was wiring and mounting I pulled the whole seat out to make it easier. Now if I need to get to the board for fuses or rewiring all I need to do is flip the seat down.

Reactions: unlisted

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.