Shorten a Whelen Liberty?

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Anyone ever shorten a Whelen Liberty LED lightbar? Can it be done, & if so is it hard to do? Will the lenses seal properly, & not leak? I'd like to have an all blue led Whelen Liberty that has the 4 corners, & then 4 front/rear (2 front, 2 rear) led modules. Only one I've seen is on YouTube (
).
Your thoughts?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Most certainly can be done: just depends if you possess the right tool for the job and the skill to keep your line true. Need metal cutting blade. I personally haven't done it so my advice will end there, but I know its been done a few times on here. Talk to Pete L. , he's cut down Edge frames for me and is a pro at the job.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Storm4200 has made a few. I personally have not done a liberty but I have cut edges. I just used a circular saw with carbide blade. Make sure you use protection, (eye, hearing, long clothes because it will throw splinters.) Just find your length and subtract from both side.

Anyways, definitely doable

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Thanks Phoenix & Wilson for the advice. I appreciate it. I worry about cutting through that large aluminum frame. Of course I could always buy a mini-Liberty (or. FS Highlighter or Whelen Responder LP)....BUT I can't find a used one for sale.

wmreader

Aug 3, 2012
ETex
bmd224, I have several LFL minibars available. I'll strip one of it's internals and sell the frame only if you are interested. Please let me know by PM, thanks.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Its very easy. Strip the lenses and the top of the bar off. Set the bar up how you want and measure it. Take everything off the bar so you're left with the top and bottom frame pieces. Measure. Draw a line. Clamp. Cut. Reassemble. Done. (28" is a good length. Corners and 3 inboard modules) I have a thread on here. Its called "custom 28" mini liberty". Should show you some good pics. Its an easy cut. Its aluminum, so its a soft metal. A reciprocating saw, band saw, circular saws will work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cameronbraedyn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.