Speaker Placement

Alec R

Sep 9, 2014
eLightbars
Where is the best place to install my siren speaker(s)? Will certain things cause output reduction? 

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Personally im a fan of behind the grill mountimg versus behind the bumper. Not sure if theres any actual difference as far as how loud it is but id imagine it to be louder when theres nothing deflecting some of the sound.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I do like behind the grill but I think it's hard to do this is certain applications. Take my Jeep for example, I don't have much space behind the grill or other places for that matter. 

But for cases like me, I like the overhead if you have certain lightbars that you can have that application such an MX7000 or a Whelen Edge. 

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
Our town garage started mounting the speakers angled towards the ground in the new Utilities and Interceptors for whatever reason. The have since been mounting the speakers on the new ones to the push bars because they probably figured it was louder. 

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Mounting the speaker behind the bumper should be avoided at all costs, behind the grill is acceptable but not ideal. The best place to mount a speaker is on a push bumper, free of any obstructions. 

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
I do like behind the grill but I think it's hard to do this is certain applications. Take my Jeep for example, I don't have much space behind the grill or other places for that matter. 

But for cases like me, I like the overhead if you have certain lightbars that you can have that application such an MX7000 or a Whelen Edge.

Just a suggestion, I have a 04 Jeep Wrangler and found that by removing one of the headlights, you can push the black plastic shield out of the way and a compact speaker (I used a Dynamax) fits perfectly at the upper left corner behind the grille. Used standard bracket and drilled mounting hole through header in front of radiator. Sounds good, doesn't impact airflow and is unobtrusive/not noticeable.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Just a suggestion, I have a 04 Jeep Wrangler and found that by removing one of the headlights, you can push the black plastic shield out of the way and a compact speaker (I used a Dynamax) fits perfectly at the upper left corner behind the grille. Used standard bracket and drilled mounting hole through header in front of radiator. Sounds good, doesn't impact airflow and is unobtrusive/not noticeable.
I have looked into that but I have a '99 Grand Cherokee and it won't work. For my application I'd say the speaker on the lightbar is my best option that I can come up with.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois

One of the reasons departments have stopped doing that is because of the cab noise.  It becomes a hazard/distraction to anyone in the cab trying to hear the radio, give assistance to the driver etc. I would only go there if it were a last resort as in your case.

One of our old cabover Ford rigs has a ROOF mounted Q...moves traffic for miles but the noise!!.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
One of the reasons departments have stopped doing that is because of the cab noise.  It becomes a hazard/distraction to anyone in the cab trying to hear the radio, give assistance to the driver etc. I would only go there if it were a last resort as in your case.

One of our old cabover Ford rigs has a ROOF mounted Q...moves traffic for miles but the noise!!.
It is also against OSHA and NFPA rules/standards.

Reactions: slash9dotnet

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky

For my Jeep, it's a Grand Cherokee, it's the only option for me. The other speaker I have it too big even without the plastic cone to fit anywhere I've tried. 

And a compact speaker would block half of my radiator. My Jeep overheats enough from driving down the road as it is. If I can save up enough for another vehicle I'm looking for, I definitely look for another option. But that'll be some time off.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I have one CPI 100 watt speaker behind the + shape in the center of the grille of my Charger....it was terribly muffled and people I was trying to stop said they didn't hear it. I had an AS-124 added at my expense right behind the word "DODGE" in the grille and it made a world of difference!

Last edited by a moderator:

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
If you do go with the push bumper, use non-compact speakers, something along the lines of a Federal TS-100. Much louder than compact because driver is forward facing and bell is not small/restricted. IMHO.

Reactions: AJ3814

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
We have some old Cherokees that we have for the mountains that just sit for months. 

One of them has a speaker mounted directly to the front bumper.  Next to one of the little bumper pad things.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.