Sterling Model M-10 siren?

silasgore1

Aug 1, 2010
Triple Cities NY
Attached is a photo of our original Sterling Model 10 siren recently rescued from a field in a neighboring township! I have been looking for this siren for 30+ years, I knew it was still around but didn't know where. One of our older members found out who had it and we had it donated to us. We trucked it back to the firehouse.

Now, we have been told this is a "40 horsepower" siren, although we have also been told they only made 5 and 10 horse models. Where did the "40 horse" idea come from?

I need help with this siren, anyone have any infor on it?

Tim

540095_2951028854655_1229398586_32356922_706344982_n.jpg

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Oh I see you got the BIG sterling... that thing weighs a lot don't it? The M-10s were 10hp motors they're the big brother to the M-5 which had the 5hp motors. Those things can be challenging to work on/ restore. Give me a few and I'll dig up some specs and info on them for you. I know that Sterling is now known as "Sentry Siren" I've got a few sirens of my own, and worked on an M-5 not that long ago. I'll post some specs here shortly let me find em. What's your plan for it?

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I'm pretty sure that's not an M-10 actually, After having a few siren techs look at the picture as well they agreed that you've got something much more interesting than a Sterling M Series. The siren you have is an "H.O.R Super Sirex 50" there're not many of these units left and even few that are actually in the safe hands of a collector. Those sirens used a 40 to 50HP motor so that would explain the info you got. Are there parts that you have that are not in the picture? Those sirens usually came with a stand and unit to rotate the sirens. That is a great and lucky find. I would post in one or both of the siren forums. There is one other person on the forums that currently owns one of those sirens, and he maybe able to help you with the specifics of the unit.

Link to the H.O.R unit

H.O.R. Super Sirex from Phoenix, Arizona | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sterling M Series

ai337.photobucket.com_albums_n363_dirtracer4life63_100_0223.jpg

Note how much wider the chopper/stator is on these

ai337.photobucket.com_albums_n363_dirtracer4life63_100_0226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse Volanti

Sep 27, 2011
USA California
You are very lucky to have found this special prize. But yes these guy's are wright that siren is not a Sterling M 10 or M 5 but still a good loud siren. The proud owner of sirens from FS model 5 - 5t - 7 - 7t - Sth 10 - Stl 10 - Sd 10 - 2t22 - 2t , Sentry 10v2t - 40v2t - 3v8 Sirens. :hail: :D

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Jesse Volanti said:
You are very lucky to have found this special prize. But yes these guy's are wright that siren is not a Sterling M 10 or M 5 but still a good loud siren. The proud owner of sirens from FS model 5 - 5t - 7 - 7t - Sth 10 - Stl 10 - Sd 10 - 2t22 - 2t , Sentry 10v2t - 40v2t - 3v8 Sirens. :hail: :D

You got a collection yourself! Are you on ARS?

silasgore1

Aug 1, 2010
Triple Cities NY
Okay, wow, I'm blown away!!! For YEARS I have been hearing stories of this siren! When I joined the FD in 1977 this siren was the thing of legends, it 'rattled the windows of a hospital 2 miles away" and drove the townspeople nuts!

I was told it was a Sterling but obviously it is not, and after looking at photos of the M5 and M10 I came to realize it may well NOT be a Sterling after all? We have the control box in the Station, but it has cogs on it and I have been told it ran the "other" siren, the horn type Diaphone, which I wish we had but don't, that in itself is a local legend!

I need INFO on this siren, so please keep me posted folks!

Tim

silasgore1

Aug 1, 2010
Triple Cities NY
From vintage photos I know we also had a Sterling model M siren, I have a photo of that one put none of the one you guys are calling the HOR siren. So, we have had 4 different warning devices in our history!

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
Holy crap, thats a Fedlcode control box, usually ran model 5 and 7s with a damper. Its made for coding, but it can be used for any siren, That is a real piece of history there. I'll try and dig up some more info on the siren. If you've not done so yet, hop on airraidsirens.com

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wow: Some of you guys are sooo lucky. I'd like to find either a decent Federal 2 or 2T in 110-volts that would be reasonably priced. And yes, Tim, as you know I get on the Siren Board occasionally, but haven't found anything there. I live out in a small rural area that isn't protected by a siren system. The closest city siren is about 5 mi. away, but their sirens are a joke. They're all electronic and only do the "hi-lo" sound. Somebody saw those guys coming! We're right in the middle of "tornado alley", and we've had a few close calls. When actual warnings, not watches, have gone out, I've gotten out the ol' battery jump box and my B&M CS8B siren to use as a warning. It covers most of our immediate neighborhood, but not the surrounding area. Anyone that comes across something, please drop a line. And I agree, that old HOR is nice. If it's as loud as the M-10 I've heard up in Tahoka, TX.......ouch!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.