Strobe LFL Mini-bar, strobe out and flash pattern

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I just bought a circa 2002 LFL strobe minibar that I plan on putting into service on my POV. One of the corner strobes is out, and I noticed the flash pattern isn't quite symmetrical between the left/right sides. Is the corner strobe unique to the LFL, or would it be the same as an Edge 9000? Also, could the strobe being out cause the flasher to be a little wonky.
I contacted the seller, and he said it was working fine when he shipped it. He did a very good job packing it, and his advice was to just bang on it a little.
Down the road I would love to put a front and rear LIN-6 LED module in the center section. How difficult would this be to do, and I'm assuming it would need its own flasher?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The strobe should be half the height as the one from an edge. You should swap the wires to/from another strobe to confirm it is the tube and not power supply. You can find them on ebay but do a lot of searching. Plenty of people list them for 2x+ what others are listed for. S strobe being out can cause other issues like not syncing properly.

The size of your bar would determine if and how many lightheads you could add. They need the bracket known as a bucket to hold them into the bar. Some have built in flashers and can sync with eachother while others require an external flasher.

Reactions: firebuff17
Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I opened it up tonight, the corner strobe was burned out and ordered another one. It wasn't a connection issue as far as I could tell. I didn't really get deep into the guts though. @Jennifer Rose Towing, my coworker was looking it over tonight and he said that there is a model of Whelen 500 LEDs that do have a built in flasher. Was this what you had in mind?

@Ranger-Services.com. The bar is a cigarette plug. I haven't opened it up yet to check the connections (I was actually going to do that today at work, but I forgot to bring it).

I must have missed the mini bar part
yes to add a 500 to it the easiest will be to get a 500 series with internal flasher, I have some in 5MM, tir6 and lin6 depending on color

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
Have my replacement strobe tube and a couple lenses to switch things up. Next thing I'd like to do is put in two LED modules, either 5mm or LIN6. I opened up the bar a look at the hookups. Do I need modules that have a 3 pin plug? I'm looking at the hookups at the power supply and I'm a little lost as to where center modules would connect.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 13

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Hey Crash, I believe you will need to make your own connection in the bar. If you acquire self contained modules, you would connect them to the power and ground at the strobe pack, coming in from the cord.

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I just took a look at it with a coworker. He noticed a taped off positive and ground that are connected to the power supply, and nothing else. He surmises that they are for center modules. I have some on order and should know in a few days. They are the two wires with black electrical tape in the 1st photo.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.