Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
No Sirens?

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I am by no means a ARFF guy but I would imagine they were responding to a report of a fire on airport property. No way in hell the FAA would allow ARFF to respond to a city call and leave the airport still in operation.

Any ARFF guys here to confirm my suspicions?

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
firefighter7017 said:
Agreed. I see no practical reason for it to be that high.

It's because of their exhaust removal system in the fire house

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
CPDG23 said:
I am by no means a ARFF guy but I would imagine they were responding to a report of a fire on airport property. No way in hell the FAA would allow ARFF to respond to a city call and leave the airport still in operation.

I know that we can call for a crash truck outside of the Airport if we need it.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Our regional airport is upgrading the size of the jets coming in and therefore increasing and changing their mutual aid layout. We sat through a lecture. The airport has 2 units on hand. They are allowed to send one out as long as there is adequate manpower to operate the one remaining at the airport (1person). However, they said the only time that would happen is if there's a plane down. No doubt if it was across the street they would probably gear out to protect any property of the airport.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I guess every airport is different but I'm sure they do follow some form of governmental regulations and rules. I know at our airport, the airport fire dept responds in a small response truck to calls at the terminals, but the city fire dep't responds in for alarms/fires/medical calls to the airport structures. The ARFF trucks keep their responsibility to the airfield.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
CPDG23 said:

twodogs603 said:
I guess every airport is different but I'm sure they do follow some form of governmental regulations and rules. I know at our airport, the airport fire dept responds in a small response truck to calls at the terminals, but the city fire dep't responds in for alarms/fires/medical calls to the airport structures. The ARFF trucks keep their responsibility to the airfield.

My local County airport as well as the closest International airport has had some crash vehicles leave for calls in other counties!!!

Couple years back had a fire in an oil storage tank, and two crash trucks responded from different airports. Years before that, the crash trucks rolled to assist out of county for a tanker truck fire. And around that same time the local crash truck rolled to a tanker rollover outside the airport property.

4 Million Gallon Diesel Fuel Tank Fire 9/5/07 - Bill Johnson (FDPhotounit)'s Photos

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
About a year ago we had a fuel tanker truck crash and catch on fire a few miles down the road from an Air Force Base and they sent a crash truck out to assist.

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
As a ARFF guy yes we can leave the airport. Yes the FAA does have reg's stating we need to keep the airport in operation (firefighting for airlines to stay operational). Every airport is different. We have as many apparatus needed to keep our FAA regs in place. We have sent our apparatus to other counties, as we have special equipment, with agent available to fight certain types of fire. Such as foam and clean agent and powder agents. We have always been the bastard child (my opinion) of the fire service. However at my station we do provide mutual aid to the city and county agencies when asked. We take or airport property but do get releashed off the chain once in a great while.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Nice looking rigs.... Got your own "playground" when u rolling in ARFF"s..

Can't help but wonder Y the Genius's over at W would allow a 900 to not synch itself.?. :duh: .?..lazy if ya ask me.... Lol

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
lafd55 said:
Our local airport has a Structural Engine and a Mini-Pumper that is used for response off the flight line. You will never see an ARFF rig outside the fence unless it's requested by a surrounding agency for foam, which is VERY rare.
[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/DSC_9545copy_zps2a7e7ce2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/DSC_9563copy_zps48086539.jpg

10-75.Net - Fire Service Photography by Eli Gill

Did they send a crash truck to the TCI fire in Columbia County last year? I didn't think they did, maybe it was the Air Force base.

Could be mixing up incidents though.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
proudfirefighter said:
Did they send a crash truck to the TCI fire in Columbia County last year? I didn't think they did, maybe it was the Air Force base.
Could be mixing up incidents though.
I think you may be mixing up incidents.... I don't believe any ARFF vehicles were at that fire, plus Columbia County is tooooo far off the reservation for them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.