Tahoe POV Response to MVA

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Man... You had a run of idiot drivers on that one.

Good safe driving on your part though. :thumbsup:

How did the entrapment turn out?

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
CPDG23 said:
Man... You had a run of idiot drivers on that one.

Good safe driving on your part though. :thumbsup:

How did the entrapment turn out?

Thank you sir. Usually people in our area are very good about pulling over and stopping, so this call was the exception. I will be trying to film every emergency response I do from now on ever since a citizen claimed that I "ran him off the road" (right, whatever that means). Only thing I would critique myself on is use of the air horn...I think I came off as being a jerk by laying on the horn when they didn't pull over immediately. Oh well...

Vehicle ended up on the driver side, so passenger side A, B, and C pillars were cut and the roof was folded down. The driver of the vehicle was extricated from the roof with apparently minor injuries (glass in arm, some back pain). First time I have cut into a hybrid vehicle.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
ISU_Cyclone said:
Only thing I would critique myself on is use of the air horn...I think I came off as being a jerk by laying on the horn when they didn't pull over immediately. Oh well...

There's no such thing as too much air horn. When people are being idiots, they need to be told they're being idiots, and the air horn is a great tool for that...

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Don't you just love the boneheads who pull out around the car ahead of them that has pulled over for you and try to keep on going?

That was a long run and you were first at the station? Wow!

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I thought you handled those stubborn motorists very well. You waited until they noticed you and started pulling over before making the move to pass. Great job.

(Although I do have to say every time you didn't stop at a stop sign I cringed and had a little heart attack... In my parts one *always* stops at all stop lights and signs, regardless of the existence of traffic. Worst case you don't think you see someone but missed the bicyclist or motorcycle or pedestrian, best case someone hears your siren looks out the window and sees you blowing the sign... I teach my guys to always stop no matter what... not to mention it's the law in my state.)

But really... excellent job with those other cars!

;)

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
I agree, great driving skills! Even though you didn't completely stop at the signs, again who does, I'm glad to see you slow down enough to make sure the intersection is clear. Dicks like the driver of the white pickup really piss me off. There is a stretch of road we constantly have to travel on for calls (in the apparatus mind you) and this happens almost every time. The person in front yields and the one in the rear goes around like nothing is happening. I usually just lay on the air horn until they move. I can never figure out though when you have air horns and a 200w siren running hot and someone with their window down doesn't hear you coming??? How the hell can you not hear that?!?!?!

And for my Massachusetts buddies, we went on a strike team earlier this year for a massive brush fire in Brimfield. As we all assembled in Auburn and went to leave we pulled out onto route 20 with lights and sirens going. We actually had several people... yes SEVERAL people come flying right up to us and honk as well as flip us off. It wasn't like we cut anyone off or anything just a whole lot of trucks leaving at once and folks couldn't wait. Hell some of them beeped while passing us on the right!! Seriously?!

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Zack said:
I thought you handled those stubborn motorists very well. You waited until they noticed you and started pulling over before making the move to pass. Great job.

(Although I do have to say every time you didn't stop at a stop sign I cringed and had a little heart attack... In my parts one *always* stops at all stop lights and signs, regardless of the existence of traffic. Worst case you don't think you see someone but missed the bicyclist or motorcycle or pedestrian, best case someone hears your siren looks out the window and sees you blowing the sign... I teach my guys to always stop no matter what... not to mention it's the law in my state.)

;)

I agree Zach! I have had to go through red lights and stop signs... but I ALWAYS stop... I really do. I am petrified of running someone over I can't see. In my POV I tap the air horn a couple of times, stop, and then proceed. Works very well so far!

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
I think I came off as being a jerk by laying on the horn when they didn't pull over immediately.

If you're jerk, I'm a jerk preceded by 4 expletives. If you've got distance and space to pull over and don't? Things get really loud.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
twodogs603 said:
Umm, werent you going a little fast in those 25 and 30 mph zones? :undecided: :)

First: It is impossible to estimate speed from a dashcam without an actual displayed speed.

Second: Speed is subjective when driving an emergency vehicle in Wisconsin. "Prudent and reasonable under the circumstances" is the basis, and one must look at the totality of the circumstances. Please remember this was a call for a person pinned in a smoking vehicle after being struck by a semi truck, not someone with the flu. I look at what the call nature is, what the driving conditions are, and how urgent is it that I get there quickly. This was high priority, the driving conditions were good, and I was expediting because we had a light turnout and the ambulance had not even left the station yet.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Zack said:

;)

Thanks!

Understand the stop sign issue, however out here it is solely "due regard" and case law in Wisconsin currently backs us up if we are hit at an intersection under governmental immunity. (crazy, I know. And likely to be appealed. I can supply the court decision if anyone is interested, it's a good read). For less urgent calls, I do make an extra effort to slow way down and approach a stop at intersections.

I slow down and cover the brake while making eye contact with the other vehicles. I feel comfortable being able to stop if someone were to pull out.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Mrlunchbox said:
I can never figure out though when you have air horns and a 200w siren running hot and someone with their window down doesn't hear you coming??? How the hell can you not hear that?!?!?!

The first car that failed to yield (Corolla) did have the driver window all the way down. I was memorizing the plate for a FTY citation but decided to avoid the hassle.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
Todays call...PS why are these YouTube links not automatically embedding for me anymore?

Why dont you back in. That will save you a few seconds. As well I think a Headlight Flasher would do wonders on this car.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
VolEms said:
Why dont you back in. That will save you a few seconds. As well I think a Headlight Flasher would do wonders on this car.

The way the driveway is configured it is a pain in the butt to back in.

I currently have a SoundOff HLF waiting to be installed ;) I agree it will do wonders!

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Nice videos.

I'd love to get a dash cam.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
bwoodruff said:
Nice videos.

I'd love to get a dash cam.

I simply have a Panavise Suction Cup camera mount. These are usually used in applications such as reality TV shows where the camera is facing in towards the passengers. It mounts rock solid and can be configured anyway you like. I simply mount it out of the way and when I want to record a response, I take my point and shoot camera out of my console and it screws on in seconds. Well worth the 25 bucks and you can use almost any camera that you already own. Looking at getting a HD camera now.

Amazon.com: Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction-Cup Mount: Camera & Photo

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
All those FTY guys will be the first to complain about how long it takes the ambulance/apparatus to get there when it's their turn to need EMS/FF. :duh:

uwr912

Nov 17, 2010
USA Illinois
Steve0625 said:
Don't you just love the boneheads who pull out around the car ahead of them that has pulled over for you and try to keep on going?

I had some tard do that to me a few weeks ago, first car starts to pull over and second car isnt paying any attention and slams into the back of the first car. People need to keep a eye on their rear view mirror!!!!!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
ISU_Cyclone said:
Thanks!
I slow down and cover the brake while making eye contact with the other vehicles. I feel comfortable being able to stop if someone were to pull out.
Well said. Remember a camera can only see a fraction of what the human eye can. Visibility is much greater than it appears.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
That's a nice Tahoe! And nice responses as well

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
great response and driving, but may I suggest getting a decent air horn? Maybe a real one? Nothing gets the attention better than a good sounding air horn and I've yet to hear an electronic air horn that sounds good. I like your setup! That is some beautiful country you live in. Thank you for your service too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.