The Strangest Fire/EMS Thread

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wtf are some of those things?!?!

German Steve Urkel mobile, a converted WWII half track, and a tiny ass Chevy astro ambulance?

I'm gonna be having nightmares now about what I would do if I ever had to work with "equipment" like that

As for the Atlanta ARFF rigs, those look like something out of Star Wars...kinda cool but kinda weird at the same time...at least they have a LOT more lighting than the standard minimal ARFF lighting setup

fireman29b

May 23, 2010
Guthrie, OK
JohnMarcson said:
The "wrap" idea with whelen edge plus bars has been done to various extents by different places.... always looks odd to me... and they are actually not all that populated with lights sometimes. EMSA in Oklahoma was a big user of the "wrap".

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/those-do-you-think-maybe-their-nah-cant-656/

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/those-do-you-think-maybe-their-nah-cant-656/#post6179

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/those-do-you-think-maybe-their-nah-cant-656/#post6186

I was always told EMSA had some kind of design patent on that wrap concept.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
JohnMarcson said:
Pics from an auction I believe...

I want one. I have absolutely no use for it what so ever but, I must have one.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
GPC said:
I want one. I have absolutely no use for it what so ever but, I must have one.

I was told that one sold at auction for $16k and needed only a battery and a way to remove it.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
JohnMarcson said:
I was told that one sold at auction for $16k and needed only a battery and a way to remove it.

Wow! That's way less than I thought it would be. This dream may be feasible after all. lol!

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
JohnMarcson said:
Ground clearance seems really low...

I took a tour of their ARFF units back in the late 90's. They had the two types as mentioned above, but both had a full suspension kit that allowed the operator to raise and lower the whole truck. I really felt like I was watching transformers. Then they lifted the piercing nozzle and the truck...at that point I was waiting for it to talk to me about saving the world. :haha:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
crescentstar69 said:
A Crosley mini truck.

Wow! I haven't seen one of these in many years. The Dallas Zoo had one that was set up for kiddie rides. The one they had had a blinker-type (BR2) beacon on top and a small Mars siren on the hood. I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's still there.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
SomeBloke said:
Why is it, a lot of these vehicles look like Wild pigs/boars that got stuck in an industrial mould?

In other news...

I think they based this out of the 62 house on Bustleton Ave in the Northeast. Lots of brush and fields. What I miss about Philly, they loved those Model 77 and 78s.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
http://elightbars.org/forums/f80/worst-ambulance-fire-truck-thread-41173/#post33986

The delivery van ambulances in that thread are the weirdest from my pile.

That big ambulance at the top was built by the nefarious Bob Dietz at his plant in Eldorado, KS. He also built some Suburban ambulances as well. I bought a nice little '67 Buick ambulance from them in 1975 that had 47K on it when we got it and only paid $100 for it.

I love the minivan ambulances like this one. A private co., now long gone, in Odessa had an '83 Dodge, but I never knew who built it.It had space, though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.