Thoughts about Blue Lights on Snow Plows?

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Coming from a blue = police state (NH), the CDOT (CO) trucks really threw me off. All plows in Colorado run blue, sometimes with amber. I didn't like it at all, but it is what it is!

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
FireEMSPolice said:
Well, its a step in the right direction. I think they still should find another color for the truck body.
Agreed. Most county road maint./plow trucks are red or orange, seems to stand out.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
technically you don't want chevrons........ a chevron would imply that it is OK to pass on the right , I say that NY state is doing the right thing with the 1/2 chevron. also notice thw yellow and green truck that points the traffic to the center of the truck , that would also be appropriate according to the MUTCD

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I have this to say to any flashing light on a snow plow that is not amber:

ai.imgur.com_CabPW.gif

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Going back to the OP's video, the truck shown also has white to the rear in addition to their blue and GREEN cones, it doesn't seem like this agency cares too much about conventional wisdom.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Here is my thoughts on the topic as a plow driver and a citizen. I support the idea of using a second color besides amber. 90% of our work is done in the dark. You add in snow, wind, and limited visibility and you can't always see the lights flashing, no matter what the type of light it is, LED/Halogen/Strobe. You have tons of over head street lamps that are yellow in color, headlights from other cars on the road are yellow in color and it tends to wash out the flashing amber lights in blowing snow. Then you have the red tail lights on vehicles as well. So Blue or green in my opinion is a great way to contrast the yellow and red colors and really let the plows stand out and be seen from a farther distance. I don't think flashing white or red should be on plows at all.

The best way to stand out is to be totally different. So if all we see at night in snow storms is amber and red, snow plows should be using something opposite from amber and red. Green and/or blue is perfect for that. Take a look the next time you're driving around on a snowy night and you'll see what I mean.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Alaska DOT uses amber and blue, more often than not in an X pattern on the back of the plow. 2 beacons typically end up being seen forward. I've never had an issue with being "surprised" by any of them in front of me, or behind me.

Typically any graders in road service have the same, with the addition of a beacon or two on any extendable wings off the graders.

The loader I ran for a private snow removal company just had a strobe beacon up top and I ran with the LED hazards on. All amber, and I never had any issues with anyone not seeing me while on city streets between work sites or with any "disco effect" while operating it. I might have seen some of the "disco effect" if I didn't have 12 HID worklights on, but all I would see is snow that needed moving :)

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
At first I wasn't sold on the fact that plows should use blue lights. After driving on the NJ Turnpike during the snow the other day, I'm convinced. They were in the left shoulder, cars were blowing by them on the right, in the right shoulder and cars just blowing past them. The amber lights weren't easy to see. A contrasting color like blue or green would be perfect, coupled with the amber. I don't think its necessary to the front, but absolutely to the rear

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
Keith K. said:
Nevada law changed a few years ago to allow steady blue to the rear. It really catches your attention and you can see the blue glow through snow quite well.

Yeah the NRS says it was added in 2003. I will say the steady burn is very visible and whatever they put on their rigs are BRIGHT. I was cruising down the freeway one night and saw what I thought was NHP on a traffic stop because of the flashing blue lights. Once I got closer I could see it was a street sweeper and was a little annoyed. I kept seeing it on the 95 around 11pm so one day I emailed NDOT and asked. They replied back saying they would have their maintenance manager check their sweepers for flashing blue lights. I haven't seen any recently but I don't cruise that area at that time anymore.

I have seen many DOT trucks and sweepers with the steady blue and it is very visible and I think emergency vehicles and other states should look in to it. If it's good enough for CHP it should be good enough for everyone!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Bikinjohn said:
Yeah the NRS says it was added in 2003. I will say the steady burn is very visible and whatever they put on their rigs are BRIGHT. I was cruising down the freeway one night and saw what I thought was NHP on a traffic stop because of the flashing blue lights. Once I got closer I could see it was a street sweeper and was a little annoyed. I kept seeing it on the 95 around 11pm so one day I emailed NDOT and asked. They replied back saying they would have their maintenance manager check their sweepers for flashing blue lights. I haven't seen any recently but I don't cruise that area at that time anymore.

I have seen many DOT trucks and sweepers with the steady blue and it is very visible and I think emergency vehicles and other states should look in to it. If it's good enough for CHP it should be good enough for everyone!

Tattle tale.

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
nluszcz said:
Coming from a blue = police state (NH), the CDOT (CO) trucks really threw me off. All plows in Colorado run blue, sometimes with amber. I didn't like it at all, but it is what it is!

I agree, I lived in SC for a long time, if you see blue in the rear view it was LE, if it was red it was fire, otherwise it was not something to worry about. I almost pulled over for a CDOT plow when I first moved back to CO...lol

I do like the green idea though, plows running green and amber would be way more visible. The human eye is said to be more sensitive to green therefor you are supposed to be able to see it from much further away and or in poor visibility conditions.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I took this short video of a DOT plow on my way back to Fargo yesterday morning. The mini-Liberties are split amber/clear (Amber on top, clear on bottom) and the 4 rear LED modules on the extended bars. The two different colors double-flash in unison with each other. Different to say the least...

ai246.photobucket.com_albums_gg82_Mercer36_th_100_1240.jpg

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
To be honest with everyone here, the only thing I saw blue on was a snow plow. I grew up just outside of Toronto, and all the Ministry of Transportation plows had a single blue two bulb beacon on the cab, and 2 steady red sealed beam lamps rear facing. Private plows were mainly the same (some had bars some had some sort of beacon but it had to be blue) minus the solid reds.

When I moved to FL. it through me for a bit when I saw LEO with mostly blue only, being use to seeing only red on LEO.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
killCARB027 said:
** Also all snow plows whether publicly owned or private SHOULD NOT have their flashing lights activated unless they are actively engaged in snow plowing/salt spreading operations. One other point I think that if you are going to have Blue lights on a plow they should be mounted on the drivers side of the truck not the passengers side.

** By the way one type of vehicle that Does Not need any Amber flashing lights are private street sweepers that clean shopping center parking lots, it's ridiculous to see them driving around an empty parking lot at night with Amber lights flashing away.

I agree. We run 9 plows, 3 skid steers, a back hoe, and a loader. All have amber beacons on them. I've yelled at a few guys for not having them on when they're supposed to and having them on when they're not supposed to. I told them if they get a ticket (~$500) for the lights in any manner, it's coming out of their pay checks. Haven't had any problems since.

Street sweepers don't always have a choice. Some states lump snow plows and street sweepers together under "maintenance vehicles" nad lights have to be activated when working in a public access way which some parking lots fall under.

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
First off, No matter what color or amount of lights, most people do not give 1 crap about plow trucks. Its crazy to witness people trying to weave around and pass large covoys of plow trucks. Most IL govt plows used a whelen DOT system containing a 80" edge with rear strobe 700s rippin in a sync pattern with the bar. The newer trucks have either freedoms or justice bars. Freedom setups have rear 700 super leds while the justice lightbar setups have 6 rear 500s on the rear dump bed. 4 being amber and 2 clear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsngrimm

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.