Twinsonic rotator direction question

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
I have 4 Twinsonics and 3 out of the 4 all rotate the same way except one. Is it possible to just switch the chains onto the opposite rotator gears to get the bar to rotate the other way ? I don't feel like taking my whole bar apart and playing with it unless this is the answer. Too hard on the merchandise. :lol:

Which way was stock rotation, inward or outward looking at the front of the bar ?

Thanks for the info ! ;)

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
I really don't want to do that. I have the wiring the way it is suppose to be. I'm trying to keep everything as original as possible.

luckyducky

May 22, 2010
NorCal
Happened to me to for CTS the longer chain is closet to the motor, 12 models the shorter chain is closest to the motor. Just try that and see what happens. Happened to me more than enough times to figure out.

Sebi

May 21, 2010
Germany & CA
I´ve got also just a question close to this thread:

Has someone here ever had to short the long chain a bit to get the bar working again?

I got an older Twinsonic lightbar and the long chain was already laying around in the frame because it slipped of the rotator gear.

I had no way to mount the rotator unit until I put out 2 sections of the chain. After that, the rotator unit fits perfect to the holes in the frame to mount it.

So I´m just wondering if there was any other method to do that, or if somebody else got this problem before?

Thanks!

Sebastian

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Sebi said:
I´ve got also just a question close to this thread:

Has someone here ever had to short the long chain a bit to get the bar working again?

I got an older Twinsonic lightbar and the long chain was already laying around in the frame because it slipped of the rotator gear.

I had no way to mount the rotator unit until I put out 2 sections of the chain. After that, the rotator unit fits perfect to the holes in the frame to mount it.

So I´m just wondering if there was any other method to do that, or if somebody else got this problem before?

Thanks!

Sebastian
Chains stretch with use, so your options are to either remove some of the links or install a new chain.

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
I remember reading somewhere that some departments changed the rotation of the bars so that when they enter an intersection the flash would catch cross traffic eyes making the units more visible.

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
I just looked at both of the 12X's I have that turn opposite of one another. Both have the motor mounted on the right side when looking at the bar from the front. Both gears in both bars are turning the same direction when looking through the right lens but both bars turn opposite of one another. Both have series one motors. I'm gettin an itch to use my tools to see what's goin on here. :?

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
OK! That's what it was. Just like Luckyducky said, the long chain goes closest to the motor. It was reversed on mine.

This was one of the bars I got off ebay and it was mint inside so I didn't do anything to it but brush off some dust and polish up the lenses a bit. It even had #64 bulbs in it.

Thanx Luckyducky :D

luckyducky

May 22, 2010
NorCal
6043ron said:
OK! That's what it was. Just like Luckyducky said, the long chain goes closest to the motor. It was reversed on mine.
This was one of the bars I got off ebay and it was mint inside so I didn't do anything to it but brush off some dust and polish up the lenses a bit. It even had #64 bulbs in it.

Thanx Luckyducky :D

Glad to help you out, looks like you have an awesome collection! :cool:

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I always remove a link or two,or three when I restore a Twinsonic.

Very easy operation: Just use a pair of dykes to gently open up the loops, and slip the links out. Then use the dykes to gently squeeze them closed again.

Takes all of a minute to do.

I also spray the chains with a can of starting fluid. Quick and easy degreasing.

6043ron

Jun 3, 2010
USA/Pennsylvania
Ryan,

It might have been, it's been a while since I've had it though. It is a 12X blue and blue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoMoreGreen

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.