Vision vs. Vector vs. Smart Vector Halogen Lightbars

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
A smart person is smart enough to know that they don't know everything about everything, and I definitely fall into that category. I do not pretend to know every single thing about lightbars. I have used the search function to look through the page, and I've even done a Google search, but I can't seem to find a decent article discussing this topic, so I ask the other collectors on this page for help.

If anybody can provide any information on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. The question is, what are the main differences between a Vision, Vector, and Smart Vector lightbar? I assume the Vision came first, but that is just an assumption. If anybody can give me a breakdown of what the differences are below, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
As I understand it a vector just has rotators. Generally 5-7.

A smart vector has two smart pods that do td/alley sweep etc. in addition to the standard vector rotators. Usually 5 standard pods. 2 smart pods. Smart pods are controlled by standard trigger wires.

A vision all 7 pods are smart pods and controlled by a vision controller... looks like a ss2000 control brain and head and connects to the vision bar by I believe a rj45 connection.

I believe this is correct but may need some tweaking by other board members.

Thanks
Seth

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Vector was first gen. 7 pods total, 5 had rotators, 2 had 3 bulb/reflector combos. Front(td), rear (flash w/colored filter), side (alleys).

Smart vector 2ND gen. Again 5 rotate, 2 "smart" pods that had 1 bulb/reflector that had step motors and served many pre selected functions. Alley, td, flash, intersectors, or rotate 60/90/120fpm. Still used standard switches and the jog function when used as td or alley.

Vision 3rd gen. 7 smart pods. Way more options when it came to setting up. Used the rj45 as stated above. Could be very finicky to work on (had 3, very picky). But had many things you could do flash pattern wise. Had park kill capavilify to turn off certain pods (usually white). My local big city fd still has rigs with the split version of those in service, they were called viewpoint.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.