Walker, MI Officer killed while placing StopSticks (Combined Threads)

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Thoughts and prayers are with the officer's family and brothers & sisters on his department.

The news station's website needs to get their information correct: one section states he was ran over by the suspect vehicle, while the "photos" section states he was shot and killed along I-96. Pretty confusing for the public.

At any rate, this is only about 2hrs from me. The amount of LODD LEO deaths in this area have been staggering. Looks like I'm going to have to prep my Class A's for yet another officer's funeral.

AdaFire38

May 16, 2010
Lowell, MI
I agree. I think they are still trying to sort it all out.. but I can confirm that he was indeed struck and killed while placing StopSticks.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Another one gone as a result of trying to place stop sticks. This makes 2 this week, and at least 6 or so this year.

I'm sorry, but IMHO, time to throw these god damn stop sticks in the garbage. The BGs have obviously figured out the 'game' and just try and ram the deploying officer's car or the deploying officer themselves. It's become way too dangerous to try and strategically place something in front of a speeding vehicle who's driver obviously doesn't give a shit. You gotta ask this question, would you jump in front of a speeding car to try and stop them? No, right!!! So, why are we doing it now just to throw something in front of it??

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Replace stop stick's with fucking RPG's. This shit is getting old. If you rob a bank and run, you get blown up. Advertise it so everybody knows. Pull over and have a nice healthy life. The end.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys a Walker PD officer was killed in the line of duty today while he was attempting to deploy stop sticks during a high speed pursuit. He was struck by the suspects and died on scene. The suspects crashed not to far up the road and shots were fired. Both suspects were killed during the shoot out. They were running after robbing a bank. 4 police agencies were involved in the chase and shoot out. Officer Trevor Slot left behind a wife and 2 young daughters aged 6 and 8. There is a lot of info on this on Woodtv.com wzzm13.com and fox17.com.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Hey guys a Walker PD officer was killed in the line of duty today while he was attempting to deploy stop sticks during a high speed pursuit. He was struck by the suspects and died on scene. The suspects crashed not to far up the road and shots were fired. Both suspects were killed during the shoot out. They were running after robbing a bank. 4 police agencies were involved in the chase and shoot out. Officer Trevor Slot left behind a wife and 2 young daughters aged 6 and 8. There is a lot of info on this on Woodtv.com wzzm13.com and fox17.com.

Merged your thread. :thumbsup:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
While the Mobile Spike looks okay in concept, I think it will not find favor for use. As an administrator, there's no way that I would want or expect an officer to approach a fleeing vehicle close enough to deploy this product.

In the case above, the fleeing felons were actively engaged in a gunfight. To closely approach a fleeing vehicle that has the occupants shooting at their pursuers. to deploy a Mobile Spike, is just inviting disaster for the officer(s). My own opinion is that stop sticks - with sufficient safety for the deploying officer or LEO gunfire would be far better at stopping the fleeing vehicle than the Mobile Spike.

beavercorp

Aug 4, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think what he's getting at is that this tool would be effective in some cases, while not all situations are the same, more often than not they could be used. At no point did Michiana say getting rip of the traditional implement would take place, however the idea was that this tool could prevent officers risking their safety by standing in front of a moving vehicle.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I don't think I portrayed MichianaELS's post as the Mobile Spike replacing other methods. If I did, I did not mean to. I understand that having a variety of options that can be brought into use, depending on the circumstances, is a good thing. I'm sure there is a place for this product to be deployed satisfactorily. I just don't care for it and I still think my original thought - that it won't find much favor - (or widespread use) - is still a valid opinion

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
beavercorp said:
I think what he's getting at is that this tool would be effective in some cases, while not all situations are the same, more often than not they could be used. At no point did Michiana say getting rip of the traditional implement would take place, however the idea was that this tool could prevent officers risking their safety by standing in front of a moving vehicle.

Precisely. I would not expect (or want!) an officer to engage in deploying the MobileSpike system in an incident such as this, where suspects are actively engaged in shots being fired. Too risky to the officer's safety. However, I do think that this would be a safer and more reliable method for ending a pursuit, much more than using actual spike strips.

Retired1 said:
I don't think I portrayed MichianaELS's post as the Mobile Spike replacing other methods. I understand that having a variety of options that can be brought into use, depending on the circumstances, is a good thing. I'm sure there is a place for this product to be deployed satisfactorily. I just don't care for it and I still think my original thought - that it won't find much favor - (or widespread use) - is still a valid opinion

I understood your comment and share your concerns, Terry! Sometimes, it wouldn't be practical. That's for sure!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I think we are all on the same track here. Officer safety is paramount. It is very tragic that this officer was killed. Hopefully, future technology will completely remove officer risk. Meanwhile, advances in current technology, such as the Mobile Spike continue to take us forward towards that goal.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Another LODD that should push EMP technology research.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.