Weird Power Plug

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
All the power plugs on our new-to-us quint have 3 round pins instead of a normal blade-type power plug. What is this connector called? should I replace the outlets or make some adapters for our existing equipment?

Sorry for the bad photo, it's all I have at the moment. I'll try to get a close-up tonight.

IMG_7506.jpg

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
That picture is a portable floodlight with extra power plugs, but the apparatus is equipped with a 120v 15kw hydraulic generator.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Could it be they installed 'odd' connectors so non-departmental people didn't plug in their stuff?

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
They say "FIRE POWER" on them so I'm guessing that's right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433986740.686633.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433986759.229315.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433986769.957231.jpg

Is there any reason not to change these to a regular 20A plug?

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Looks like the cheapest and easiest thing to do is going to be ordering a few male Fire Power pigtails and wiring regular sockets on the other end to use as adapters for the fans/lights/tools we already have.

Thanks for the help everyone.

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Might not be easier, but I would imagine it would be cheaper to change out the outlets?
Maybe a little, but I figure I can get away with 10 pigtails total, that's 5 for each truck. At ~$35 each. Each truck has at least 8 receptacles, and I'd have to wire new ends on the floodlights that have the fire power plugs on them now also. I don't have a lot of time to work on this stuff and still keep up with all my normal duties and it would DEFINITELY be more expensive to have the shop do it.

...also Chief said do adapters so we're doing adapters.

Reactions: Chris W

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firefighter5316

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.