Whelen Alpha 12Q "Brain Transplant" Procedure

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I took a gamble on a non-working Alpha 12Q, 12X (euro), and a standard Alpha 12R siren lot for a very "non-working price". The 12Q didn't have a cover either, I'm assuming someone put it on a 12M and sold it for more money (I remember that happening on facebook a few years ago). On arrival the 12R and 12X were in fact working, sadly the 12Q was not. The 12R was made in 2011, the 12Q in 2002. I had intended on repairing the 12Q with parts from the 12R, but when I had them open I noticed that inside they looked basically identical. The 12Q had damage to the traces on the circuit board as well as components along that trace, and I wasn't sure the cause. The damage was not in the spot in a spot I thought should see that sort of failure so I was a little concerned about the being able to repair it. I decided to transplant the main chip off the board and see if that worked. The wires, dip switches, and other features among the Alpha series were all basically the same, it was the tones that varied, so I thought it was worth a go. I swapped the 12Q chip into the 12R and it now has 12Q tones and works as if it were a factory 12Q. I will upload a video eventually, but I thought it was interesting that a chip swap between sirens 10 years apart in build date worked so well.

Mid-surgery
12aQ.jpg

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
So, in theory, you could duplicate that chip programming and put it in any 12 series?
I guess that's a thing ... no idea.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So, in theory, you could duplicate that chip programming and put it in any 12 series?
I guess that's a thing ... no idea.
I would say that any alpha 12 could receive a 12Q chip. How one would duplicate the chip isn't really within my area of expertise, but I would love to see it done. The chips are a commercially available product.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The only Whelen siren I have is an Alpha 12S (self contained version with dual rocker switches). It just has the standard Whelen wail and yelp tones. I bought it because the ambulance service uses Whelen sirens and I hear them quite often.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The only Whelen siren I have is an Alpha 12S (self contained version with dual rocker switches). It just has the standard Whelen wail and yelp tones. I bought it because the ambulance service uses Whelen sirens and I hear them quite often.
I have one too. I *think* the chip is the same chip, so you could theoretically transplant to that too (you'd need the chip obviously). The only issue might be the switching although the wires out to the built in switches look very similar to the wires going to the plugs for 'user supplied' switches on the alpha.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I’m relatively sure that with the right eeprom reader/writer you could clone those main chips.

I haven’t done it but a little googling and YouTubing proves the theory.

What is the exact PN and manufacturer of the chip? May need to do a lil theory test on this.

Seth

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What I can make out is "MC705P6"
Both are faded, but I will try to get some better pics.

chip.JPG

Reactions: C17LVFD

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Also, some variations, see to be cross-referenced.
PXL_20231008_012606727.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpgPXL_20231008_013056087.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

And with the stickers on..
PXL_20231008_012912570.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpgPXL_20231008_012441576.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So looks like in theory I could be up n running cloning these for about 30 bucks.

I’d be interested in giving it a go with a 12R chip if u have one sitting John. Wouldn’t wanna ruin a good 12q chip in the process of experimentation.

If I can clone a 12r chip successfully, then should be able to do the same with a 12q.

If I can save the raw data then I could burn a whole bunch of chips and bring back the 12q.

It makes sense after Whelen was sued. They already tooled for the 12q. Just change the chip data n keep everything else the same. Minimal retooling.
Seth

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So looks like in theory I could be up n running cloning these for about 30 bucks.

I’d be interested in giving it a go with a 12R chip if u have one sitting John. Wouldn’t wanna ruin a good 12q chip in the process of experimentation.

If I can clone a 12r chip successfully, then should be able to do the same with a 12q.

If I can save the raw data then I could burn a whole bunch of chips and bring back the 12q.

It makes sense after Whelen was sued. They already tooled for the 12q. Just change the chip data n keep everything else the same. Minimal retooling.
Seth

I definitely have a standard alpha 12 chip that I could send you, PM me your info and I'll send it your way.

Reactions: C17LVFD

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Idk about that. You still have a 12q with the original label and collectors will want that.

Everyday Joe who has an interest in the rich harmonics of the 12q will be less than likely to pay a premium for an original but would be just has happy to run a makeshift in their POV.

This is all continent upon me being able to clone the chip, so we’ll have to see how that shakes out first:)
Seth

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.