Whelen Carbide

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
My question is, what is the purpose of the middle Black/White wire that is between the Green & Gray wires on the connection itself and what is supposed to be connected to it?

That connects into the WeCan output as well. There are 3 outputs for WeCan.

I have a total of 4 WeCan devices plugged into my Carbide. (Liberty II, External Siren Amplifier, and two 16 out-put Expansion Modules)

All the greens are spliced together, all the grays are spliced together, and all the black and white are spliced together.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
That connects into the WeCan output as well. There are 3 outputs for WeCan.

I have a total of 4 WeCan devices plugged into my Carbide. (Liberty II, External Siren Amplifier, and two 16 out-put Expansion Modules)

All the greens are spliced together, all the grays are spliced together, and all the black and white are spliced together.
Question for you about the black and white wires. I have a expansion module that I have tried to install with my Can Trol system and have had no luck. Been back and forth with Whelen Tech. They told me that the black ground wire from the expansion unit does not need to go to the unit. It could just go right to a ground. How have you done yours ? Also what type of wire are you using to run between the expansion unit and the main unit ?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Question for you about the black and white wires. I have a expansion module that I have tried to install with my Can Trol system and have had no luck. Been back and forth with Whelen Tech. They told me that the black ground wire from the expansion unit does not need to go to the unit. It could just go right to a ground. How have you done yours ? Also what type of wire are you using to run between the expansion unit and the main unit ?

Right, the black wire I have grounded beside the Expansion Module.

Seeming I had two devices under the hood (Expansion Module and External Amplifier), I used an old network CAT5 cable and chopped of the ends. I used one twisted pair for the Expansion Module and one twisted pair for the External Amplifier. The install guide states the wire needs to be twisted at a rate of 7/1ft. ...I have no idea, but it seems to work.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
Right, the black wire I have grounded beside the Expansion Module.

Seeming I had two devices under the hood (Expansion Module and External Amplifier), I used an old network CAT5 cable and chopped of the ends. I used one twisted pair for the Expansion Module and one twisted pair for the External Amplifier. The install guide states the wire needs to be twisted at a rate of 7/1ft. ...I have no idea, but it seems to work.
Ok thanks. I was using a WeCan wire from a liberty bar. I am thinking that may be my problem.
Ya not to sure about the twist rate 7/1 ft. Thanks for the help. Will try that and see if it works for me.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
I am getting nothing out of the expansion unit. It has power but none of the heads light or flash. Also getting the error light on the brain. Have tried many things with it and still nothing.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Anyone else with a Carbide yet?

So, what I've noticed on a few Carbide installs is that the WeCan lightbars will slowly and eventually go out of sync with the rest of the vehicle lighting.

This happens after maybe 20-30 minutes or so. Doesn't matter the pattern. Meanwhile all the lightheads wired directly to the Carbide system and the WeCan Expansion Module are still in sync.

The patrol vehicles with CanTrol and bluePRINT can run for hours and still all be sync'd up.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
I'm trying to convince my commander to move to carbide so we can get cruise and steady flash set up in our slick tops but he mentioned "another system that's easier to wire" which I'm assuming he's referring to bluePRINT.

One other agency in my area uses carbide and I'm not sure why because they do absolutely nothing special. Our state patrol is the only ones I know using CanTrol.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I'm trying to convince my commander to move to carbide so we can get cruise and steady flash set up in our slick tops but he mentioned "another system that's easier to wire" which I'm assuming he's referring to bluePRINT.

I have the latest software for bluePRINT, they made some changes to compete with Whelen. Lightheads can now change phases between response and park, and they finally added the Steady Flash...but only for perimeter lighting. Lightbars and sticks still don't have the pattern.

BluePRINT is easier to wire as it only requires 1 wire to be ran from the central control point to the remote nodes. But bluePRINT will only work with other Soundoff lighting. It throws errors in the software when you hook up other lights. Whelen and Code3 lights will flash fine with the slower patterns. But anything fast, the pause in-between the flash just isn't as crisp.

For me, where Whelen really shines, is the software. But the end users (cops in the car) don't have to worry about that. The simplicity of programming and ability to see what you programmed before you upload it, is what sells it for me.

Reactions: smokeeatertk28

Buckypmp

Jun 27, 2010
USA/ Arkansas
I like both the Cantrol and the Carbide systems . The only issue we've had with the Cantrol was the factory ECM module burning up with the use of door triggers, for activation of interior (prisoner lighting) . Our install shop ended up installing door pins. Carbide has every function i believe our agency will need and we will probably go with that because of priceing . I know of a couple agencies who have tried the BLue prints system . From those who ive talked with they prefer the carbide or cantrol . Its my understanding its more difficult to install and program . apparently their are three differnt control boxes etc.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Is it possible for someone that has experience or knowledge of wiring the carbine to explain how to wire in an Inner Edge and a Rear Inner Edge RTX into the system. I just get hung up on the fact that there is only one WeCan Input and I have 2 devices for that. Maybe I'm just overtired and missing something. But anything (pictures, explanations, loud noises) would help.
No need to buy anything - just splice (twist) together each of the 4 wires with the other 4 and then connect to unit (the WeCan port can recognize both individually, as they are data wires). ***I too was confused at first, and never would have assumed on my own that the system could control each independently when the wires were essential “one” with the other WeCAN device.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Ok thanks. I was using a WeCan wire from a liberty bar. I am thinking that may be my problem.
Ya not to sure about the twist rate 7/1 ft. Thanks for the help. Will try that and see if it works for me.
The “type” of wire doesn’t matter as long as it’s at least 18awg - so not sure why all the CAT5 cable work…

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.