whelen cencom programming

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
So when kids get in my truck (and some immature passengers) they sometimes played with my cencom sapphire and would turn stuff on and off etc. Is there a way to do a lock out where you have to hit a certain button to let you turn on another one? IE button 20 does nothing but unlock button 1, that way noone but me can use the air horn? Or well whoever knows the unlock key.

Hopefully you guys understand my question. The programming seems much harder than installation at times and this time im tryin to get fancy haha.

OnSitePSE

Jul 7, 2014
Houston, TX
I don't believe there is a way to do that. However, you could put a small toggle switch on the ignition wire going to the CenCom and that will allow you to turn it on or off. When you pick someone up just flip the switch.

Or just start slapping the crap out of anyone that messes with your stuff.

Reactions: rwo978
Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
After being in a store on vacation 15+ years ago saying to myself "I hear a siren and someone yapping on a PA", only to come out to my truck totally lit up with friends laughing hysterically, I learned to set up so nothing works (except the radios) without turning on the hidden switch first. I put a small boat battery disconnect under the dash that kills the main light/siren feed.

Reactions: MEVS06

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Might just do that, then. I have one of them led off road bars i use as a work light and my cousin kept turning it on and off when we were driving a while back. Pissed off a bunch of people who of course thought the driver was doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Two solutions:

Children - sounds like you're doing a poor job educating and disciplining them. They should be well mannered enough to not play with your emergency equipment. If they aren't, they can ride in the back like little kids.

Friends - put them out on the side of the road walking and I'm sure they'll wise up. In the future, it might be smart to consider who you choose to let ride in your vehicle.

Alternately, a Taser works.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
On most installs I have done for non-agency vehicles... IE POVs. I always put a switch on the ignition wire. Keeps the driver in control and others out of mischief... That will be the safest, most simplistic solution.

Seth

Reactions: rwo978

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Haha just realized i never made it clear they arent my kids. They are baby cousins etc. That i cant exactly discipline without hearing complaints.. im 21 so needless to say some friends arent the most mature people.

Anyhow, problem solved thanks yall

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.