Whelen core R compatible control heads

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Hello everyone I'm looking to find out what control heads are compatible with a core R I'm looking at upgrading from a sappire but not sure if I need to change control heads or not

Judging by the 6 pin RJ type connector I'm assuming the sappire one won't work please lead me in the rite direction core experts I like my current control head (18 + slide) as it's got lots of usable buttons for all kinds of functionality so can I use my current head (wecan head eathernet connection) with the core R or do I need a new control head and cable?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Hello everyone I'm looking to find out what control heads are compatible with a core R I'm looking at upgrading from a sappire but not sure if I need to change control heads or not

Judging by the 6 pin RJ type connector I'm assuming the sappire one won't work please lead me in the rite direction core experts I like my current control head (18 + slide) as it's got lots of usable buttons for all kinds of functionality so can I use my current head (wecan head eathernet connection) with the core R or do I need a new control head and cable?
The easiest way to figure out, if, and how a control head will work, is to open up Whelen Command, and build your file. If you can build it in Command, it will work. I think almost all control heads will work with Core.

t24t1000

Feb 5, 2022
Fort Worth

Scroll to the bottom and it shows all the compatible control heads

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
So on this note it seems to get the full features of core the wecan x control heads are needed I wonder what the likelihood someone might have one used or for an affordable price off to post an ad lol

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So on this note it seems to get the full features of core the wecan x control heads are needed I wonder what the likelihood someone might have one used or for an affordable price off to post an ad lol
The only features that you will be lacking is the ability to flash the button indicators, and having WCX pass through. I build many cars with Core, I very rarely use either of these features. You can always change the control head down the road. You will need to write a new program, but that shouldn’t be too bad. I actually like writing programs, it’s probably my favorite part of the build.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
So the core R control head port looks smaller then the eathernet port but is it still the same connector?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So the core R control head port looks smaller then the eathernet port but is it still the same connector?
I haven’t personally installed a Core-R yet. But what I can tell you is that the WCX control heads and the old control heads have the same connectors. It does kinda look like the control head port on Core-R is an RJ11 and not a RJ45, but IDK. Maybe you need a new cable? A quick call to Whelen tech support could clear up that issue.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I haven’t personally installed a Core-R yet. But what I can tell you is that the WCX control heads and the old control heads have the same connectors. It does kinda look like the control head port on Core-R is an RJ11 and not a RJ45, but IDK. Maybe you need a new cable? A quick call to Whelen tech support could clear up that issue.
Will whelen send replacement cables to individuals in canada or will I have to go to a distributor to get it? The core R has a 6 pin RJ type jack I'm thinking it's an RJ11 so maybe a special cable that adapts to the RJ45 on the wecanx control heads

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
It looks like it should have come with the cable. You could call Whelen and see if they will send you a replacement, or they can probably point you in the right direction.

Attachments

• E45C04DB-3104-45A9-91C1-9D0097E6BA0F.jpeg
    E45C04DB-3104-45A9-91C1-9D0097E6BA0F.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.