Whelen HHS2200 install questions

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
Hi i bought a hhs2200 and i am a little confused on a couple of wires. the first one is called the icon driver wire what is this for and do i need it. second what is the + - switch wire for and do i need it. and last i think i know what this is for but not sure what is the +- radio wires for. Thanks for any help. ohh and one last thing i just wanna know if this is save i have the 10 gauge ground wire from the hhs2200 going to my frame because my battery has like a seal around it. i dont have the two amp 8 gauge wires hooked up yet because i am waiting for the two maxi fuse holders in the mail. Thanks again.

psteele

May 20, 2010
43.864776 -71.635851
xcrownvicx said:
The first one is called the icon driver wire what is this for and do i need it.

Icon Driver (Item 5-7 WHT/YEL)

This output provides +12VDC with a maximum circuit capacity of 250 mA.

This output becomes active whenever a siren tone is active.

You can use this to trigger a relay for something that you want to come on when a siren tone is active. I am not using this wire in my setup.

xcrownvicx said:
Second what is the + - switch wire for and do i need it.

I'm not sure what you're saying here...

xcrownvicx said:
And last i think i know what this is for but not sure what is the +- radio wires for.

I don't see anything referring to them as "+" or "-"... but if they're both blue then they're for the radio rebroadcast feature.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
xcrownvicx said:
what about the 10 gauge ground to the frame of my car is that ok.

Just make sure its a good ground. Wherever the battery is located, it will have some ground wires going right to the body of the car. Connect there if you can.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
xcrownvicx said:
what about the 10 gauge ground to the frame of my car is that ok.

Find the closes factory chasis (body) ground and use that, you should be fine.

And if I understand your question about the +/- switch wire it would be for "ignition sense" in regards to does the unit operate off of a + (12 VDC) input or a - (ground) input.

psteele

May 20, 2010
43.864776 -71.635851
One thing I've noticed about my HHS2200... and it may be the way I have it configured... the ignition sense is only for the handheld control unit. The remote amp. stays on 24/7. I was trying to figure out why my battery was dying since everything, I thought, was off with the ignition. I put in a ChargeGuard and haven't had a problem since.

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
Hey now i got a little problem. its prob just me but i cant get the hhs2200 to work all 3 powers are hooked up and the ground and its getting power i think cuz i took a fuse out of the amp and put it back in and it sparked is there any other wire that has to be hooked up to operate like the backlight wire or no. and also i think i have a shitty ground but the amp still sparked im confused. thanks..

xcrownvicx

Dec 3, 2011
New Jersey
Hey now i got a little problem. its prob just me but i cant get the hhs2200 to work all 3 powers are hooked up and the ground and its getting power i think cuz i took a fuse out of the amp and put it back in and it sparked is there any other wire that has to be hooked up to operate like the backlight wire or no. and also i think i have a shitty ground but the amp still sparked im confused. thanks..

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
A ground can be mean the difference between it working and not. What do you have it wired to? How is it connected? ie: wire nut, butt/wire connectors, wrapped around a seat bolt(hoping not), etc. Also, to better understand your issue please use some better sentence structure. I had to read your post 3 times to get all of it.

Sierra117

Mar 31, 2011
CA, USA
xcrownvicx said:

You need to hook the unit up to your computer and flash the control scheme and settings to the unit.

sergeyvjr

Sep 28, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Just wondering which wires I would ned to use to get basic operation from this unit. I asume all the power, grond and the outputs and siren. What others should I use. Also using only LED lights, how many could I use per outlet. Thank you in advance.

sergeyvjr

Sep 28, 2012
Cambridge, MA
I have read it, it's a bit confusing to me. I would but the budget is tight, I have pretty good knowledge of electrical mechanics, and have installed plenty of lights and siren, just never installed this unit.

ztecgeek

Feb 28, 2017
South Carolina
Hey have a hhs 2200 in a vehicle and working on installing an alarms system. Is there a way to trigger the siren when the alarm goes off? I can connect to the trigger wires on the hhs 2200 and get it to go off but its set to airhorn, can it be changed to yelp or wail

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
This post is like 6 years old lol but to your question.....

If your siren is wired to ignition only, which it should be, it's going to be kind of tricky. You would have to have the alarm trigger the unit to turn on and then activate a siren tone. I've played with the HHS2200 a bit and I'm not entirely sure this can be done.

Also, something to think about....how long will the alarm be going off for? I don't think you'd wanna have the siren sounding off the battery for too long.

However, at work we have our cars wired to trip the manual tone in bursts if the hatch is opened or not closed right. But that's a much more complex system then the HHS2200

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.