Whelen HHS3200 Troubleshoot

epicwil

Jan 13, 2024
Massachusetts
Folks,

I have a Whelen HHS3200. I installed the unit and it was working for me and then all the sudden it quit working. I'm trying to brainstorm and would like suggestions on what else I should try. A few things to know:

Unit is installed in a trunk of a car, upside down, on a shelf.
All fuses are good.
Ground is good.
No park kill.
Ignition activation is good.
Remote buttons works and it retains programming, but relays and siren don't work.
Sent to Whelen and it was sent back in working condition.

Thanks

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I have this same problem with mine except the relays stopped working. Siren works correctly but I just dont know if I want to send it back to whelen and get charged for it as its now out of warranty.

Edit. For some reason I thought these only had a 2 year warranty not 5. I guess I am sending mine in after all.

Last edited:

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Try plugging your controller in directly to the HHS. Sometimes those couplers go bad. This will also eliminate the possibility of a bad or pinched cat5 cable.
Edit: I had to troubleshoot another installers job, it had a similar problem. Everything worked great for a couple years. Then all of a sudden, everything just shut off. The control head worked, buttons beeped, but nothing happened. Found out that the ground wasn’t connected, and I think the HHS was grounding through the PA coupler. It melted the coupler. Installed a new coupler, attached the ground properly, and everything worked perfect.

epicwil

Jan 13, 2024
Massachusetts
Try plugging your controller in directly to the HHS. Sometimes those couplers go bad. This will also eliminate the possibility of a bad or pinched cat5 cable.
Edit: I had to troubleshoot another installers job, it had a similar problem. Everything worked great for a couple years. Then all of a sudden, everything just shut off. The control head worked, buttons beeped, but nothing happened. Found out that the ground wasn’t connected, and I think the HHS was grounding through the PA coupler. It melted the coupler. Installed a new coupler, attached the ground properly, and everything worked perfect.
I tried that and still no success. Thank you for the suggestion.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
It’s possible that you have a bad control head. I would try writing a program that uses your park kill inputs. Program the park kill input to turn on some of the outputs. If the park kill input will turn on outputs, that means that the HHS is working properly, and there is a problem with your control head. Since you have plugged it in directly already, you have eliminated cabling as the issue, and kind of leaves only the control head to be the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.