Whelen Howler 1/4 or 1/2 settings?

coleman1126

Jul 26, 2010
Columbia, MS
Ok, I just got my howler installed on my tahoe. The instruction manual says it can be set at 1/4 tone, 1/2 tone or a composite of 1/4 and 1/2 tones. The default setting is 1/4 tone. I am assuming that 1/4 tone is a higher pitch than the 1/2 tone. I am also making the assumption that 1/2 tone would penetrate the vehicle better than the 1/4 tone. If this is the case can anyone explain why they come from the factory set at 1/4 tone? Can anyone confirm or reject my assumptions? And finally the bottom line question is which tone should I have it set on to get the best results.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I would assume factory default is probably the best overall compromise setting. It is also nearly identical to the FS Rumbler regading tone and output.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I would presume 1/4 tone would be 25% of the frequency of the primary siren tone so would be LOWER in pitch, not higher.

coleman1126

Jul 26, 2010
Columbia, MS
I appreciate the replies. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I gues I will just have to try it both ways to ever convince myself which is higher and which is lower.

acousticman

Nov 5, 2011
US Salem,VA
The Howler divides the basic siren tone either by 1/4 or 1/2. So, a main siren pitch of 1000Hz would be a Howler frequency of 250Hz at 1/4 and 500Hz at 1/2. Human hearing is more sensitive to low frequencies until you get old or blow your hearing with a 2000w car stereo. But, low frequencies do not carry as far. You want rumble, go for the 1/4, distance 1/2. I think the concept is to vibrate adjacent vehicles body panels. But, you probably will be rumbled as well! Listening to a demo with just the police vehicle, I could hear the hood rattle.

coleman1126

Jul 26, 2010
Columbia, MS
ok that makes sense. I tried it both ways and all of you are correct. The 1/2 is a higher pith than the 1/4. When I turn it on I can feel the floor board of the Tahoe vibrating. Powerful stuff.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.