Whelen Inner Edge XLP intensity?

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
I'd really like an Whelen Inner Edge for my '15 Silverado HD. Previous versions used LinZ6 and Ion heads. The newest is a very thin TIR3 module but it doesn't seem nearly as bright in the videos I've seen. How does it compare and is is adequate for primary front lighting? Any input appreciated. Thank you.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
The XLP, is the slimmest internal bar on the market. But doesn't have the footprint of some of its competitors. To take advantage of the XLP you really need to have the pattern set to alternating full driver side and full passenger side.

I've been using Whelen products for all the cruisers I've done for years, except internal windshield bars. It's just not a product I think they've gotten right. I've favored using the Federal Signal ILS until recently. I've now been installing the single color high output 9 LED nForce interior bars by Soundoff Signal.

Reactions: Tony P

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
I use an XLP two piece behind 20% tint and it performs great in all light conditions. My only complaint is off axis, however, it is an interior bar and very low profile. With any interior set up it is best to accomplish your intersection lights with something other than an interior bar. I also flash it where it alternates the complete bar (red vs blue) giving it the biggest footprint possible.

ShadowSwipe

Mar 13, 2015
New Jersey
Personally don't like the XLP, I have an ILS in my POV, and our Dept has an XLP in the explorer, and honestly the XLP doesn't even compare to the ILS, not to mention my ILS is behind tint. (They also make a slim version of the ILS now)

Its definitely not a bad light if you're set on Whelen, but I don't think it really compares to FS's bar.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Thank you very much for your info. I hope I won't be disappointed but the whole vehicle is Whelen, so I have ordered a XLP. I working on additional corner/off axis lighting now to be sure that I have it covered adequately. Thanks again - I'll keep you posted

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.