Whelen LFL liberty blink programing

Braeden488

Jan 2, 2024
Connecticut
First time posting looking for help, I have a whelen lfl liberty light bar I am trying to get working and have no clue how to program I have the bar and we can controller just do not know how to get the bar to light up and flash, thanks

Bar Model number SL8BBBBS

Attachments

• IMG_5174.jpeg
    IMG_5174.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5177.jpeg
    IMG_5177.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 16

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That appears to be an older Liberty, which I believe requires an MPC01 style controller. The WeCan controller is much newer than what is required to operate your Liberty.

Reactions: RS485

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
How many conductors do you see in the smaller black cable coming out of the lightbar? If only two, then as shues mentions, you have a "serial controlled" lightbar.

"serial controlled" aka "B-LINK" preceded WeCan.
B-LINK was based on RS485, an electrical standard for serial communications.
WeCan is based on CANBus, an entirely difference electrical standard.

If you have more then two conductors in the smaller black cable, then you may have a "low-current" controlled lightbar which doesn't need a special controller. +12VDC applied to individual conductors will activate specific lightbar functions.

Braeden488

Jan 2, 2024
Connecticut
How many conductors do you see in the smaller black cable coming out of the lightbar? If only two, then as shues mentions, you have a "serial controlled" lightbar.

"serial controlled" aka "B-LINK" preceded WeCan.
B-LINK was based on RS485, an electrical standard for serial communications.
WeCan is based on CANBus, an entirely difference electrical standard.

If you have more then two conductors in the smaller black cable, then you may have a "low-current" controlled lightbar which doesn't need a special controller. +12VDC applied to individual conductors will activate specific lightbar functions.
I have a gray a blue and a shield coming out

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Okay, that confirms @shues 's assessment. You have a "B-LINK" serial-controlled bar.

You'd need an MPC01 (or MPC02 or MPC03) controller and get it programmed to work with the bar you have.

You can program it yourself but it can be tricky.

The programming software "SC Programmer" is still available for free here:
but it is officially "incompatible" with Window 7,8,10

Search ELB for more details...I know there here somewhere.

is probably the mother of all thread for Whelen's serial communications.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
You can use the controller you have with any "WeCan" bar (not "WeCanX") - you can browse Whelen's website to see examples of what they're making today and get specific model numbers. Just click on the "MODELS" to get the exact model numbers that do "WeCan".

There are a ton of them in the "Justice", "Liberty", "Legacy", "Freedom" families as well as "Inner edge"

As far as the control box you need for the lightbar you have, as I mentioned, it is an MPC01 or MPC02 or MPC03.

@Ranger-Services.com (aka jperrylighting.com) has MPCxx controllers and I believe, he will program them for you.

Braeden488

Jan 2, 2024
Connecticut
You can use the controller you have with any "WeCan" bar (not "WeCanX") - you can browse Whelen's website to see examples of what they're making today and get specific model numbers. Just click on the "MODELS" to get the exact model numbers that do "WeCan".

There are a ton of them in the "Justice", "Liberty", "Legacy", "Freedom" families as well as "Inner edge"

As far as the control box you need for the lightbar you have, as I mentioned, it is an MPC01 or MPC02 or MPC03.

@Ranger-Services.com (aka jperrylighting.com) has MPCxx controllers and I believe, he will program them for you.
I’m seing he has this in stock (the photo attached) it’s the mpc03 with that work or does it have to be? The mpco1 or mpco2

Attachments

• IMG_5184.png
    IMG_5184.png
    450.9 KB · Views: 5

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
I’m seing he has this in stock (the photo attached) it’s the mpc03 with that work or does it have to be? The mpco1 or mpco2
Any one of the three (MPC01 or MPC02 or MPC03) will work. They all will do the same thing w/r/t to making the lightbar work. My understanding is that:
MPC01 has an audio interface (i.e. Microphone/radio-repeat) - MPC02 does not -- they both require a serial interface to program them.

MPC03 has a USB interface for programming...that's nice/easier than the MPC01/MPC02.
I *think* it also has an audio interface but I'm not sure.

BOTTOM LINE: if all you want is to get the lightbar you have working...any one of the three will do the job. The audio stuff only applies if you're building out a larger B-LINK system (with a BL627 siren).
HTH

Braeden488

Jan 2, 2024
Connecticut
Any one of the three (MPC01 or MPC02 or MPC03) will work. They all will do the same thing w/r/t to making the lightbar work. My understanding is that:
MPC01 has an audio interface (i.e. Microphone/radio-repeat) - MPC02 does not -- they both require a serial interface to program them.

MPC03 has a USB interface for programming...that's nice/easier than the MPC01/MPC02.
I *think* it also has an audio interface but I'm not sure.

BOTTOM LINE: if all you want is to get the lightbar you have working...any one of the three will do the job. The audio stuff only applies if you're building out a larger B-LINK system (with a BL627 siren).
HTH
thank you, I am only putting this bar on a work truck so don’t need siren or any of that

Reactions: RS485

Braeden488

Jan 2, 2024
Connecticut
I made a previous post on here about this bar and was told I need the b link MP03 1 or 2 to run in, so I have just revived my MO03 controller and was wondering how I wire and program it to my bar

Attachments

• IMG_5280.jpeg
    IMG_5280.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5174.jpeg
    IMG_5174.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
The explains basic wiring:

As far as programming, I suggest reaching out to jperrylighting.com to ask him to program it for you, or post a WANTED here on ELB requesting a service.

if you want to program itself, you'd need:
1)
The programming software "SC Programmer" is still available for free here:
https://www.whelen.com/downloads
but it is officially "incompatible" with Window 7,8,10

2) this trick to allow you to install the above software on newer Windows machines.

3) Run the software and sort of follow instructions, and try things out. You'll spend most of the time here in the the Equipment, Characterize, and Operations panel:
1705071354177.png

HTH

Reactions: JohnMarcson

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If you’re programming yourself you also need a rs485 converter

Seth

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
If you’re programming yourself you also need a rs485 converter

Seth
for an MPC03? (USB-enabled)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.