Whelen Par-36 or Whelen Pioneer Micro?

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
We're looking at upgrading the halogen rear work lights on our new (to us) engine. The truck came with sealed beam, swivel/pedestal mount halogen

worklights. One of them broke, and now I've been put in charge of the upgrade to LED. I've narrowed it down to two options:

1) Round PAR-36 (PFBP12C)

-Can be ordered in Spot or Flood

-Rated for 1000 lumens

-Come with a swivel/pedestal mount

On sirennet they go for $281.45 plus $7.15 for chrome covers for a total of $288.60/light 

Grand total of $577.20 for both

2)  Micro-Pioneer (MPBW)

-Come with three lenses to choose spot/flood pattern

-Rated for 3600 lumens

-Do NOT come with swivel mount - Do we need more than the bail mount that they come with?

With bail mounts (Whelen MPBW): $267.80/light

With swivel/pedestal mounts (Whelen MPPW): $364/light

Grand total of 

$535.60 with bail mounts

$728 with swivel mounts

My personal opinion is that the Pioneers will blow the PAR-36 out of the water, but either one is better than what we have. So, what do the experts think? 

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
You could also use Rigid Dually D2s...spot or flood, an amazing amount of light output.
Honestly I never thought to look into the Rigid series. We have to put in an order with Whelen soon anyway so I was looking at sticking with them, but I'm not opposed to other brands!

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
Hey guys, thanks for the input! We ended up going with the Pioneer Micro with bail mounts for $295 each from our Whelen Dealer.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The Micro Pioneers are actually 4100 lumens ea and have 4 lenses. I have them in black for $247.20ea and $14 freight via Fedex. I also have the round Par36 ones but the Pioneers are money better spent...

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
The Micro Pioneers are actually 4100 lumens ea and have 4 lenses. I have them in black for $247.20ea and $14 freight via Fedex. I also have the round Par36 ones but the Pioneers are money better spent...
We actually already made the decision and got the Micro Pioneers from a local Whelen dealer. Thanks for your input though, I think they were the right choice!

Reactions: emtanderson51

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.