whelen patriot problems

cpriest1395

Jun 24, 2012
New York
i just recently got a whelen patriot lightbar with strobes and leds. the first night i hooked it to my truck battery and everything ran fine. the next morning i went to hook it up again but the corner strobes are not working. My First problem is i have no idea what color wire does what and cant seem to find a diagram for it. Second problem is the corner strobes make the noise as if they were working but they dont flash. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
cpriest1395 said:
i just recently got a whelen patriot lightbar with strobes and leds. the first night i hooked it to my truck battery and everything ran fine. the next morning i went to hook it up again but the corner strobes are not working. My First problem is i have no idea what color wire does what and cant seem to find a diagram for it. Second problem is the corner strobes make the noise as if they were working but they dont flash. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Possibly a loose connection inside? Bad strobe pack?

Here's a link with PDF's for the Patriot, my go-to source!

LibertyPSE - Whelen LFL Patriot

jsearles

Mar 11, 2011
Upstate NY
cpriest1395 said:

Im having the same issue with my patriot. I ordered a new power supply, ill try it and let ya know if it fixes the problem. I couldnt seem to find any loose connections so i dont think that is the case with mine. either way. ill let ya know.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
First things first: get yourself the proper wire guide. Use Zapp's link above to the wire guide, ensure you're using proper power wires. Ensure you have a good solid ground.

They work now? Enjoy your bar!

Still no go? Down and dirty time - trace your wires into the bar. Are they intact ( no cuts/tears /holes) ?

Remove the four/eight screws to your endcaps, carefully pry away the black gaskets so to not damage it/them. Slide the corner strobes out, remove all lenses/dividers. Remove the four bolts holding top rail/frame in place ( carefully and mind the washer/seal ) Remove top frame/rail. Now to check your interior wires. Scope your board and supplies first. Does your bar have one or two power supplies? If two, try swapping wires and give that a go. (ensure wires are for strobe supply and not to led/halogen heads)

Best case: improper wire or bad wire

Worst Case: Bad power supply

If its the supply, ensure you replace with equal/same supply. Too little current and the strobes may not trigger, too much and you may blow the tubes.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

PS: While the bars apart, nows a good time to check the gaskets on both endcaps, the four retaining bolts to top frame/rail, and each divider ( one divider has two (2) gaskets. Also double check all other interior wiring for frays/splices/cuts/burns etc [halogen/strobe wires especially] )

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Power supplies are finicky beasts. Make sure you have a steady power source. If you are using your trucks battery, make sure the vehicle is running. And check all fuses. Each power supply will have one and there are fuses on the I/O board as well...

Other than that, use the above mentioned tips...

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Power supplies are finicky beasts. Make sure you have a steady power source. If you are using your trucks battery, make sure the vehicle is running. And check all fuses. Each power supply will have one and there are fuses on the I/O board as well...

Other than that, use the above mentioned tips...

Knew I was forgetting something. Kept re-reading it going "somethings missing"

Good catch TB

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
9 times out of 10 it is the LFL412 power supply going out. They are / were all POS's.

I've used (2) Whelen CS240 power supplies as replacements before in a mini Patriot. You'll have more room to mess with in a fullsize bar I think.

Same available patterns as the LFL412 too.

oddone

Jun 21, 2013
NH
I recently got the same bar and am having same issues I know this is an old thread so link doesn't work I have 2 main wires for power and ground but can't figure out what activation wire or combo of is what

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.