whelen pccs9 momentary for siren

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
i have a whelen pccs9(with relays) that im trying to use the last momentary button to use as an electric airhorn from a whelen pah112 power airhorn. but, im not positive how to hook it all up the right way.

does it get wired the same way as if i was trying to use a relay what it is normally used for? but instead of say 30a of current, use it for a siren signal?

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
It is possible. Spade 11 on the back of the PCCS9-R will need a power wire to it. Then use output spade 10 and connect that to the PAH112 input pin 3. The control wire for a PAH112 is 10mA and that circuit on the PCCS-9R is rated for 1 amp max.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
bigcat said:
It is possible. Spade 11 on the back of the PCCS9-R will need a power wire to it. Then use output spade 10 and connect that to the PAH112 input pin 3. The control wire for a PAH112 is 10mA and that circuit on the PCCS-9R is rated for 1 amp max.

wait. i have to put power to the box?

i was thinking an external relay to pass the speaker signal instead of a higher current power. that wont work?

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish then. I described how to use the last button on a PCCS9-R as the control for a PAH112.

What does "pass the speaker signal instead of a higher current power" mean? Are you trying to tap into the speaker wire for some reason?

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
im trying to use the last momentary button on the switch box as a horn button essensially. but i dont know how to do it since that button puts out a power signal, it isnt just a momentary button.

by saying i want to use the relay to pass a speaker signal i mean......instead of using a low current(momentary button) to control a bigger current, i want to use a low current(momentary button) to pass the speaker signal from the pah112 to the speaker. so hooking a wire from the pah112 to the relay, to be switched by the low current power of the momentary, and have the wire going to the speaker on the other end of the relay switch. if that makes sense

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Sorry man. Maybe it is just me but I can't follow what you are describing. Here is what I am talking about:

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p247_ct_bigcat_pah_zps21d8c6ae.gif

The last switch on a PCCS-9R is a low current momentary switch. It isn't powered like the rest of the switches. If you have nothing attached to spade 11, you can press that switch all you want and no output will function. Whatever you attach to spade 11 on the back (power or ground) is what spades 10 and 12 will put out (10 is normally open, 12 is normally closed). When you attach power to spade 11 and press the button, it sends power to spade 10 (and at the same time will interrupt power to spade 12) for as long as you press the button.

Above is the simplest way to accomplish what you want to do. Power into spade 11 and then a wire from spade 10 to pin 3 on the PAH112. Honk, Honk!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Bigcat hit the nail on the head.

It sounds to me like you're trying to use the low-current relay setup to switch the signal from the PAH112 to the speaker. This is not a good way to set this up. Use the information Bigcat provided and reference install materials from Whelen to properly complete this setup.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
yes, sorry bigcat that is exactly what i was looking for. the description i tried to give you made sense to me but no one else. but thank you. that is exactly what i was looking for.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
eng18ine said:
yes, sorry bigcat that is exactly what i was looking for. the description i tried to give you made sense to me but no one else. but thank you. that is exactly what i was looking for.

We've all had those days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.