Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

Discussion in 'Vintage & Collectible' started by dmathieu, Apr 21, 2011.

1. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Veteran Member

I do see the next hard to find light, The Sign Flasher

2. dmathieu

dmathieu Premium Member Silver Level Member

LOL, not for me. I'd like one of the original crossbars though.
    Also, the RB Commander!

3. dmathieu

OliverD likes this.
  4. joemac

joemac New Member

Any word on new plastic domes for RBII lights? Are new gaskets available?

5. dmathieu

They are definitely not available from the factory, but I may have some.

6. joemac

joemac New Member

Thanks. That sounds expensive:eek:
    Here's my story: I own a 1947 American La France pumper that originally had a pair of red flashers on the rear that I wanted to replace with Whelen RBs.
    I volunteer some of my time helping out a fire museum where my engine is stored. The other day I bought a pair of RBIIs from the museum.
    I spent some time looking through all of the parts for these lights, hoping to find some good red globes and decent gaskets.
    All of the globes were either cracked or broken.
    I picked the two best ones and I'm polishing them and have glued the cracks with liquid styrene glue.
    I called Whelen yesterday and had two girls tell me that they won't make new parts for old lights.

The museum probably has thirty pairs of these lights ready to sell, but no good globes and no good gaskets. I'd like to help them out and see some of these lights fixed up and sold. They desperately need revenue. They also have a couple of dozen rigs with cracked/broken globes and dried out gaskets. I know collectors who would also buy these parts, but they're NLA.

7. dmathieu

Yeah, because of the twist on design of the domes, the domes were definitely a weak point on these lights. Good domes are not cheap. I just bought a nice red, and paid a high price for it, as red is hard to find in really nice condition. I have a few of other colors also, but for the time being, unless the price was right, they will stay in my collection.

joemac likes this.
  8. joemac

joemac New Member

I'm very surprised that they didn't learn from the early models that also cracked at the top of the dome. They should have reinforced the plastic at the flimsy mounting points. They could have made the plastic heavier to withstand the strain. Maybe they were aware of the weakness and just decided to sell more replacement globes. Built-in obsolescence.
    I wonder if the globes could be easily made by someone else.

How about new gaskets?

9. dmathieu

LOL, you think they are expensive now....wait till you get a custom made price!
    I might have a few dome gaskets.

10. dmathieu

OliverD likes this.