Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
My RB6s... I've read of a purple dome, but never seen one. Guess that'll be my next find.

P2250025.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
rwo978 said:
My RB6s... I've read of a purple dome, but never seen one. Guess that'll be my next find.

View attachment 70084

Whelen does offer the purple dome. They're shown in their "funeral lighting" section. A wrecker service in Odessa is running Edge bars on their trucks, and those bars all have purple domes. Most unusual, and eye-catching, if you're not expecting it.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Well, I actually got lucky and found NOS purple domes today.... we'll see if/when they show up.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
It showed up. Shows more blue in the pics, but it is purple. Now I just have to find another base, swapped domes with the green for the pic.

Guy had 2, so I grabbed them both. I have another NOS for any collector seeking one. PM me.

P3070033.jpg

P3070035.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not sure what I think about this, but did it anyway. I do think that if I keep it this way, i'll need mount the LED cage to riser plate rather than a flat one...

Cruise light

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_20140429_222055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Is this where we call out the Classic Emergency Equipment Inquisition Team (CEE-IT) and proclaim heresy?

Actually, that does not look bad. Adding a rise to the base of the LED assembly might make it a bit more effective, but it's not at all a bad modification... assuming that you did not gut a perfectly good Roto-beam to do this.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
stansdds said:
Is this where we call out the Classic Emergency Equipment Inquisition Team (CEE-IT) and proclaim heresy?

Actually, that does not look bad. Adding a rise to the base of the LED assembly might make it a bit more effective, but it's not at all a bad modification... assuming that you did not gut a perfectly good Roto-beam to do this.

LOL you may have to call the CEE-IT...

After sleeping on it, I may actually go completely retro and add a LED cruise light housing on the top of the LED cage. That would look more "accurate"; if I did that, I could leave the flat plate in there rather than use a raised one. I did decommission both the new Rota-Beam and and older Model 44 to do this. Both can be restored to their original condition.

Reactions: dmathieu

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
warubozu47 said:
LOL you may have to call the CEE-IT...

After sleeping on it, I may actually go completely retro and add a LED cruise light housing on the top of the LED cage. That would look more "accurate"; if I did that, I could leave the flat plate in there rather than use a raised one. I did decommission both the new Rota-Beam and and older Model 44 to do this. Both can be restored to their original condition.

So you did commit an act of heresy! You leave us no choice, prepare yourself for...

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
warubozu47 said:
Not sure what I think about this, but did it anyway. I do think that if I keep it this way, i'll need mount the LED cage to riser plate rather than a flat one...
I actually really like it. I'm not normally one for the whole "new into old retrofit" game but I think this came out exceptionally well.

Reactions: warubozu47

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
So you did commit an act of heresy! You leave us no choice, prepare yourself for...

That's what you call monk--eying around! :D

When I first glanced at that video it reminded me of the late Bro. Dave Gardner's comic routine in which he making fun of the day that Brutus killed Julius Caesar. According to Gardner's routine Caesar says to Brutus: "Et tu Brute?" (You, too, Brutus?) and Brutus says, "No man, I ain't et nothin'.":p

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Skip Goulet said:
Whoooa! Now how'd you do that? How did you synch it to make it look like a rotating light.

The R416 actually was designed to look like a rotator. It has different patterns fast, slow,sweep, etc. Pretty cool!

Reactions: Skip Goulet

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
lotsofbars said:
I actually really like it. I'm not normally one for the whole "new into old retrofit" game but I think this came out exceptionally well.

Yeah, I agree, but thought i'd give it a try; it has started to grow on me. lol

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
warubozu47 said:
The R416 actually was designed to look like a rotator. It has different patterns fast, slow,sweep, etc. Pretty cool!

I was just on the Grote website and they have a rotating LED beacon in blue and amber only. Looks nice. No price given.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6304113.JPG S6304111.JPG S6304112.JPG MINT! MINT! Near if not NOS Original 1st version Deputy in Whelen's original darker blue.

Instead of the later rivets, the dome has screw and barrel nuts to slide under the dome retainers. The base is not stainless steel, but chrome plated what looks like copper color underneath in an unplated portion.

I included pics of the older, deeper and the newer, lighter Whelen blues. The pics do not do it justice. This light is near perfect, and the blue is darker than the pictures show.

S6304113.JPG

S6304111.JPG

S6304112.JPG

Last edited:

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1402012993164.jpg whats the story on these ones? my buddy mike has one with the flash mirrors and his was the first I have ever seen, so after reading this thread I deem you are the expert on these so I figured you could give me some history/rarity of these if they are rare at all. Thanks

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
See page one of this thread.

New in late 1977-early 1978. Took the place of the Corporal. They were advertised to compete with the Federal Fire Ball. 

Somewhat rare in really nice/NOS condition, but they are out there.

Nice new looking mirrors are somewhat rarer. I had a bunch  professionally made, exact copies. Sold all but the two I kept.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That's a nice, old Deputy.  I really like the old blue vs. the pale, sickly blue used later in production.  It probably is copper beneath the chrome plating.  Cheap chome plating would be chrome directly over nickel, but the bond is poor and the chrome can crack and peel.  The proper way to chrome steel is to first plate the surface with a thin layer of copper, then a thin layer of nickel and finally a layer of chrome.  It is expensive, but it is more durable.

Reactions: dmathieu

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Aaahhh, that's why the copper! I never knew them to make a copper base.

Whelen's first RB10s ans RB11s had chrome plated steel bases, then started using chrome over brass. I believe this Deputy is brass as it is not attracted to a magnet.

Thanks for the info.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
S6304114.JPG S6304115.JPG S6304116.JPG S6304117.JPG Here's another beauty!

Very first version ROTA BEAM RB11, 1955 vintage.

Looks to be NOS, never used, in original shipping can.

There are many noticable differences between Version 1, and Version 3, which is the one Whelen produced untill 1992.

This light was rebadged for Pyle National Company, Chicago, Illinois, and named the PORTABLE instead of the Whelen badged RB11.

This is my 2nd Version 1 Pyle Rebadge, and I have a Version.2 Pyle Rebadge.

I believe Whelen had it's first roots in Illinois.

See page one of this thread for further information and pictures.

S6304114.JPG

S6304115.JPG

S6304116.JPG

S6304117.JPG

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
That's an unusual light, Dan.   Pyle National is now North American.  I know they were building their own lights in '55.  I wonder why they had Whelen build this one for them.  Interesting, indeed, and nice.  I had a nice red Responder w/o the mirror attachment that disappeared on me a while back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.