Whelen ROTA-BEAM Family History

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I love that old Crosley.  The big zoo in Dallas at one  time had an old Crosley like  that set up like a fire truck with a long trailer in back that carried kids around the zoo area.  It had a BR2 on the roof and the Mars version of a VG mounted in the center of the hood.  Seems like I've seen that old car or one like it here on the board at one time.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
So here is my restoration project (still in process). A retired HPD 1973 Monte Carlo S... Redrilled holes and mounted Gam antenna and Rota-beam with quick disconnect. Next up is installing the Mocom 70.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
$_57 (28).JPG $_57 (29).JPG Just purchased 2 brand new, unused, mint (except for the dried up power wires) 60 year old ROTA-BEAMS.

A version 1 rebadged Whelen RB11 Pyle National PORTABLE,

and

A version 2 rebadged Whelen RB11 Pyle National PORTABLE.

Both with sales literature, and a steel mounting plate for magnets.

See page 1 of this thread for further descriptions of these models.

$_57 (28).JPG

$_57 (29).JPG

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Just purchased 2 brand new, unused, mint (except for the dried up power wires) 60 year old ROTA-BEAMS.

A version 1 rebadged Whelen RB11 Pyle National PORTABLE,

and

A version 2 rebadged Whelen RB11 Pyle National PORTABLE.

Both with sales literature, and a steel mounting plate for magnets.

See page 1 of this thread for further descriptions of these models.
Very nice, Dan.  I didn't know that Pyle built any of those.  They built an awesome motordriven siren at one time, too.  Pyle eventually became North American. When did the Rota-Beam become Whelen?

Woops!  I misread.  I didn't see the "rebadged".

Last edited by a moderator:

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's in pretty decent shape. One of the reflectors has come loose, as it's missing two "lens keepers".

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Windycity411

Jan 20, 2014
Illinois
Way back when.... The volunteer fd I was on had Whelen Corporals on the rear of the rigs. Then they bought Whelen Responders for us to use in our personal vehicles. Since you added the Joliet Police items, I'll share some more with you. The yellow/blue teardrop patch was for your winter coat, while the blue/white teardrop was for your uniform shirts. Also way back when! B)

jpditems.JPG

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Peter Fonda as a bad guy. Great shooting by the cop. Dark or light blue dome would be hard to see in the sunlight. They need flashing headlights. We use to use 100 watt aircraft lights in our high beams when round headlights were popular. Love the siren recording.. wail and yelp at the same time.

This light should have been much brighter. Either the wrong bulb was used, or the bulb filament was not focused correctly in the lens cage.
-

Actually, it is a result of the film/video limitations of the era. Believe it or not, that scene--like most daylight scenes of the era--was filmed with studio klieg lights to eliminate shadows. The extra light made it seem (and was) dimmer than the ambient light. The apertures of the cameras and the light sensitivity of the film were very limited. I had some friends (fellow volunteer firefighters) in the film industry during the 70's that explained this to me. Even aircraft landing lights paled in comparison to kliegs!

The human eye is more sensitive to blue active light (illuminated source) than red, but has a hard time determining distance to source. Red is harder to detect early, but easier to determine range.... Loose facts rattling around in this aging brain.

Another random thought...I've been watching the new 5-0 series, but there is nothing like the original....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.