Whelen Short Justice - Custom

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
I took the Mini Justice from my wrecked Fit, ordered the inner sections and aluminum bar from Whelen, and made an "short" version. I'll post a video later. :D

completed.jpg

It's actually fairly simple to do. The justice bottom domes are held in with screws and retainer clips. Take out the clips and you can slide the bottom domes off, then pop out the clips. This allows you to simply set the dome back on top of the bar, no sliding required!
Cut it down to size and extended the wire harness to make the connections on the far side.
I allocated the four CON3 modules to the rear, since that's where I typically need the warning power.

placement.jpg

Still trying to figure out a way to mount it. Looking at getting a strap kit.
But for kicks, I added some magnets to an old strap foot.

feet.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3778.JPG
    IMG_3778.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
I decided to scap an old dominator 2 wire getup and install it into the bar. I am actually fairly happy with how it came out, as I am only using four pods to use the TA. The only thing that looks weird is center out.

First two shots of the TA is with the corners off cause I forgot to plug them in, lol

Last edited:

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
Ended up taking the 'faux' TA out, as it didn't really get a good message out. Maybe if I used blue corners it would have looked better. But I'm all-amber and am not touching any other colors, lol

So, as I only have the bar right now, I've been struggling on a flash choice.
I like my SignalAlert 75, but since I have no other warning lights to "break up the pattern", I've been using ActionFlash.

Any thoughts on which pattern is better for an usually idle/parked vehicle?
The gifs are a rough representation of my bar and how it would flash for each mode.
(Also, I found a cool gif maker so I wanted to see how that works.)

AF150.gif
SA75.gif

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
*Edit* Reverted back to Amber. Wasn't worth the potential headache.

Added blue corners to the rear:

I've been debating this for awhile.
I like having the blue, as I do not have multiple levels of warning like I did on my previous vehicle, but the legal gray zone concerns me.
The city I work with uses Amber/White/Blue on their trucks, and the city PD has told me it's OK so long as I do not have red to the front. Thankfully my car has amber hazard lights, or I wouldn't touch blue at all.

Any thoughts? I occasionally do debris clearing/car moving outside the city limits, and I don't want to end up on a Troopers bad side if I activate my lights as I pull over to clear debris/stranded cars.

Last edited:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Uhhhh car moving?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Dude, nice mini bar. Still working on a wireless mini Freedom myself.

As far as legality check the laws in your state, in your case Texas according to your profile.
Try this: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/psb/News/blue_lights.htm

You said the "city you work with" uses A/W/B and that the bar came from a WRECKED Honda Fit, what happened?

Just getting on a soap box here for a sec:
If you aren't employed/volunteering with roadside safety, construction/public works, fire/ems/rescue, or a sanctioned body of government it's not recommended to use them at all. Call law enforcement for a stranded motorist or road hazard. They are trained and insured to handle those things.

Reactions: Doyle257

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
Dude, nice mini bar. Still working on a wireless mini Freedom myself.

As far as legality check the laws in your state, in your case Texas according to your profile.
Try this: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/psb/News/blue_lights.htm

You said the "city you work with" uses A/W/B and that the bar came from a WRECKED Honda Fit, what happened?

Just getting on a soap box here for a sec:
If you aren't employed/volunteering with roadside safety, construction/public works, fire/ems/rescue, or a sanctioned body of government it's not recommended to use them at all. Call law enforcement for a stranded motorist or road hazard. They are trained and insured to handle those things.

Thanks! It was converted from a Mini that I had on my old car.
Here is my previous vehicle thread with more detail on what I do.
http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/honda-fit-2010-wrecked.64893

I think I'll take the blue out. I've looked over the URL many times, and I can't seem to find an exemption for any sort of private construction vehicle manually searching for the sections. Despite nearly all of them having A/W/B these days.

Reactions: Sparky_911
Mar 25, 2014
TX
Fellow Texan here. I'd say stick with all Amber. Even I get confused by the amber and blue sometimes...especially during the day when it's bright out, and I can't quite tell if it's amber or red. I know a lot of TXDOT trucks have blue/amber light bars, but if you ask me, that's pushing the line. There's no real need for them to have blue lighting...amber is the universal "non-emergency caution" color.

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
Seeing as you have a Subaru, an option to consider is the SmartTap CF18 Flasher by Diode Dynamics. For the price, you get a decent number of features and a unique warning options. If I see correctly that you have a Crosstrek, the flasher install should be very easy. I'm wanting to get one for my Crosstrek and Tacoma as well.

Here's 2 videos: 1 being an introduction, the 2nd being a programming video:

I will also add a video of how the flasher looks like with standard halogen/incandescent bulbs:

I would also love to see how you mounted and wired the LED bar on the front of the vehicle.

kitsune86

Jul 12, 2013
Texas
Seeing as you have a Subaru, an option to consider is the SmartTap CF18 Flasher by Diode Dynamics. For the price, you get a decent number of features and a unique warning options. If I see correctly that you have a Crosstrek, the flasher install should be very easy. I'm wanting to get one for my Crosstrek and Tacoma as well.

Here's 2 videos: 1 being an introduction, the 2nd being a programming video:

I will also add a video of how the flasher looks like with standard halogen/incandescent bulbs:

I would also love to see how you mounted and wired the LED bar on the front of the vehicle.

Nifty! And I'll be sure to post all that info in a new thread I am preparing, so we don't get too off track for this one. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.