Whelen Steady Burn flickering

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
I installed a pair of Ion Trio's in the rear of my vehicle. I hooked the steady burn override to my reverse light wire, however, they flicker every few seconds when they're on. How can I remedy this flickering? Thanks

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
both of them flickering? if so i would ask what vehicle. if its a canbus controlled car the computer may not be playing well with the extra load.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Here's a video. I recorded it in SLOW MOTION to highlight the flickers. They alternate side to side as well it seems

Last edited by a moderator:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
That is the cars CANBUS for sure.
Had the same issue with my truck. Looked exactly the same. And mine is a RAM so it is a Chrysler vehicle as is yours. Only way I got around mine was to use the trailer wiring.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I tried load resistors (2 different sizes) and that did not fix that flickering.
I also tried a capacitor (essentially, if not the same, as your aforementioned anti-flicker device) with no luck. Although I just guessed at the size of capacitor I would need, so maybe if you had the right sized one that would probably work.

srulir

Feb 16, 2014
New York
I had an issue like this when I tried to use steady burn as an override on a ulf44.
The lights where not getting enough power.
Run a power for the white and trigger it with a relay see if that helps

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
This is a common occurrence in the Chryslers. Use a relay tripped by the reverse circuit and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: firebuff17
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Wait, have you checked the lightheads to see if they flicker even with standard 12 volts?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.