Where Can Lighting Go Next?

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I know the same sentiment was probably thrown around when the Aerodynic was introduced, but where do you folks predict will be the next major advancement in emergency lighting?

Other than a few minor additions developed over time, there has not been any significant changes in the last 10-15 years of LED lighting. Optics and brightness are pretty much where they need to be.

Is it possible this is the end? Siren technology, as a whole, remains pretty much unchanged for the past 50 years. Perhaps the industry will eventually vanish as automation eventually takes over road mobility...

Reactions: dmathieu

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Backwards. Thats where its going. First you had a bubble gum rotator and it was all you needed. Couple moving parts, but it did the job.

Then like everything else, they had to make it (forgive the speech) stupid. I dont need or want a lighthead than can display roy g biv.
I shouldnt need a laptop, satelittes and a computer engineering degree to program all 20 light heads to do something seperate.

Maybe make lightbars have a mandatory night dim function. And a sensor that turns off flashing white regardless of user setting at night: For me its hilarious, PSP is hard core a-retentive about lighting laws: yet it clearly states in the vehicle code all flashing white must yada yada: and yet im blinded constantly by the flashing TD (sxtled takedowns no less) while they leave a PSP car in a construction zone. Maybe make lights with LESS lumens, and less seizure inducing razzle dazzle patterns.

But since we all know that wont happen because people actually buy this jazz, think
its cool and totally forget the things are there to, i dunno; keep me from getting waffled in the side of the road

but hey, ive only been in the industry for 25 plus years, what do i know

end rant; back you to regularly scheduled lighting banter

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I suspect more of the stuff that was just reiterated above. Flashy this, no dim that, free range user unawareness. In the digital/social media age it's all been about look at me, which for sales works great if you have the latest greatest flashiest thingamabob you're trying to pedal.

What I hope to see is more uniformity. Sync of multiple vehicles, dims at night, adhering to federal and state laws (MUTCD/DOT), pattern awareness across the board (there's tons of studies out there!), etc. Safety should be the numero uno priority and everything else after.

My prediction? No real change in vehicle lighting and sirens (for now), but more in other areas like preemption, pedestrian and motorist alerts real time sent to vehicles and phones (million dollar idea there) and maybe(?) a national uniform standard where certain vehicle disciplines are relegated to specific colors. (Red=fire/ems, Blue=police, amber=dot, etc.

Really though, predicting the future of this stuff is anybodys guess. Lighting technology it's about as advanced as it can right now.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Backwards. Thats where its going. First you had a bubble gum rotator and it was all you needed. Couple moving parts, but it did the job.
Just spent a week at the Jersey shore, overnight the beach maintenance fleet goes up and down the sand raking and cleaning for the next day. Got to see a whole spectrum of cab-top warning lights: beacons, minibars, amber LED, amber/white LED, amber halogen. From 1000 - 2000 feet away, the amber halogen rotators were MUCH more attention-getting and visible than the LED blinkies. The white LED worklights blew away all other illumnation so LED definitely has it's place, but it's too bad halogen beacons have all but disappeared because for 360 degree warning they can still be very competitive.

Reactions: Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Ive long argued an Mx7k was the best bar, do an LED lower, rotator upper. One controlled seperate from the other. Its science fact that LEDs are borderline useless in: driving snow, rain; fog. They have no marked heat so again, useless in snow. But you can spot a rotator bar miles away on a foggy snowy smoky night

i was in AC a week ago, ive seen the "fleet" you speak of, and the myriad they have is

uh

well

theres that

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
"lasers"

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I can see this going many ways. They already have paint that is voltage reactive to change colors and design. I wouldn't surprise me if they had lights or warning functions that get embedded into the paint at some point, like LED TVs..

The computerization of lighting make everything obsolete once it goes out of warranty, as I mentioned previously good luck fixing a bar with an IC controller that is fried. The Vendor won't support it and no way to get it repaired other then paying $$$$ for a whole new setup.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.